Author Topic: Why does the 71 Cuda have 4 headlights?  (Read 24759 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Why does the 71 Cuda have 4 headlights?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009 - 05:52:37 PM »
Personally, I wish they had used the hockey stick stripe in 71. If they had, I can assure you that there would be one on both of my 71's right now. The billboard is too big, is hard to apply and if scratched, pretty much has to be replaced. The guy that designed the billboard did it because he was peaved that he was put on that project so he drew up the most outlandish thing that he could think of to show his disdain. I think he must have been surprised when they actually used the idea.
Don't get me wrong, I think they look cool, just not worth the hassle to me.
The hockey stick decal is the simplist, cleanest, coolest decal that was ever made.

I will be the second to agree with the hockey stick. I am kicking myself for getting rid of my 70. The '70 'Cuda is far and away my favorite E-body. I love them all, some more than others for different reasons but slap a set of fog lights, a cool color, elastomeric bumpers and hockey stick stripes on and away we go!!!   :ylsuper:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009 - 07:34:01 PM »
I wasnt looking to create trouble!
Just asking for the logical reason there must have been to use the 4 lights, then remove them for later years. Unless someone knows for sure, driectly from the styling studio guys or the actual bean counters that made the decisions, we may never know for sure.
Oh well. I actually have more important questions that need answering, like...whats the meaning of life?, but again, I dont want to start any trouble.
 :bigsmile:

No troubles.   :wave:

It's a running joke we have here about saying which car is better, the Cuda or Challenger. The Cuda started back in '64, but for some reason '71 was the only year for the 4 head-light configuration.    :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009 - 12:12:30 PM »
Not to mention the only year with the gills. I'm sure this is common knowledge but I can only assume it was some sort of internal Dodge/Plymouth thing. They certainly give the 71 more of the rarity factor within the Cuda line. I think the gills looked great, but the Challenger seemed to have a lot more cosmetic bells and whistles available.

My guess is that it was nothing more than the designers at the time making a few changes in a car like any other year to year change in appearance. Somebody felt that they could make a change or what they thought was an improvement to the previous year's model, & someone in charge approved it.

I like the '71 the best because of the differences, especially the grille, but it sucks trying to get parts for a "one year only" car.  :crying:
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009 - 12:39:13 PM »
They almost pulled the plug on the e-bodies for 72, but decided to cut production costs to the bones and see what happened with sales. They already had planned to build the convertibles for 72 but axed the idea at the last minute. The 70/71 convertible on Mannix had already been converted over to the 72 front and rear design because at the time they still had plans to produce the convert in 72. I think people tend to forget how bad things were getting in the 70's all of the way around. Poor economy, poor sales, high insurance costs and lousy construction. By 1979 the Mopar dealerships were closing left and right and if not for the government bailout under Lee Iaccoca, Chrysler would have ceased to exist before the 80's. I used to drive around Houston, Tx in 1980 and there were boarded up Dodge and Plymouth dealerships everywhere. No one expected them to survive.
In a nutshell, the 71 had far too many expensive parts and was far too expensive to build and be profitable.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009 - 12:43:34 PM »
I remember that as well.  That is why in 79 I bought a new TC3 to help out.  I just wish they had been able to keep making the Barracuda's because I would have bought a new one. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009 - 01:12:58 PM »
I remember that as well.  That is why in 79 I bought a new TC3 to help out.  I just wish they had been able to keep making the Barracuda's because I would have bought a new one.

Now it's your patriotic duty to buy a new CHallenger!  :grinno:

Did mine.  Wife bought an '06 300c SRT8 brand new; I bought an '06 PT Cruiser GT 'vert brand new (daily driver car).  'course, back in '06, times were a little better for Chrysler (DaimlerCHrysler) than now.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009 - 01:16:46 PM »
I looked at a Silver R/T yesterday.  Just not sure I can afford one now.  I did buy a used Darango though.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009 - 01:19:00 PM »
Plus dont talk to me about my patriotic duty.  I was over in Iraq for a year as well.  I am a Veteran of the USAF as well. Plus I am a Service Connect disabled Vet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009 - 01:21:41 PM by 426HEMI »

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009 - 01:37:50 PM »
I think he was just kidding.

I've been thinking about selling one of my musclecars and buying a new Challenger. We really want a sublime R/T with the shaker hood and the 20" wheels. We've been told that if everything goes as planned, that the sublime cars with the shaker hood will be available by 2010.
I have way too many old cars anyway and can't take care of them all.
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1969 Road Runner Hardtop

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009 - 01:40:19 PM »
It dont matter anyways I am going to restore my car before buying a new car. 

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009 - 02:11:37 PM »
I think he was just kidding.

I've been thinking about selling one of my musclecars and buying a new Challenger. We really want a sublime R/T with the shaker hood and the 20" wheels. We've been told that if everything goes as planned, that the sublime cars with the shaker hood will be available by 2010.
I have way too many old cars anyway and can't take care of them all.

Man I know that feeling. :eek4:

I have one guy interested in my Barracuda & he's planning a second trip with a friend to look it over a again. If it sells, I'll be able to use some of the cash to finish 2 cars that are basically done without tapping my savings, & I may sell one of them too. The reason is a combination of things, but also the new Challenger is something I like quite a bit & can't even think about getting one until other things are gone.
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009 - 03:46:48 PM »
I would still have the 73 limelight cuda to drive and show as well as my 69 Runner with the Superbird wing and my 440 68 Runner. I also have my other 71 Cuda and two 70 Barracudas that I could build later. I gave my 70 Gran Coupe to my son so I still have to restore it eventually. I'll have to finish up the Daytona clone first and possibly the Superbird clone. In other words, I have enough cars that I won't really miss the red 71. The only bad thing is that car has a lot of rare parts on it that would be hard to replace.
I tried to talk Sandra into selling her Ram Daytona pickup to buy a new Challenger but she's not going for that at all. That's her baby. So the 71 has to go.
As for building the other e-bodies, I want to restore the other 71 Cuda back to stock appearance with the bench seat, Tor-Red paint and column shift but I'll probably use the 5.7 hemi setup that I originally bought for the Superbird. I plan to build a sick fish type hotrod out of one of the 70's and use a 440 4-speed setup that I've been saving.
We've even considered selling the Daytona clone and the Superbird clone project lately and get us down to a few e-bodies and the 69 Runner. The problem is I've grown attached to most of these cars and know that if I sell them, I'll probably never find any to replace them. 
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1969 Road Runner Hardtop

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009 - 05:58:48 PM »
Plus dont talk to me about my patriotic duty.  I was over in Iraq for a year as well.  I am a Veteran of the USAF as well. Plus I am a Service Connect disabled Vet.

C'mon Gordon, he had the little smiley there to show he was kidding. I know sometimes its hard to get a true idea about someones intentions when they write something but when its obvious what he was trying to say it just makes you look   :crazy:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline LAA66

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009 - 11:01:43 PM »
 Maybe Gorden is adjusting to being back with US critters. Nothing like A lttle R&R in the shop to smoothe the edges.  :working:  :swaying:

Hotrod, what numbers are on the cars you may consider selling.  :wave:

So,,,,,, someone had to ask. :bigsmile:

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009 - 09:51:29 AM »

Lighten up dude.  HOly smokes.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO