Marijuana legalization???

Author Topic: Marijuana legalization???  (Read 4361 times)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
Re: Marijuana legalization???
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009 - 11:51:31 AM »
I grew up in the 60's, ever hear of hippies, well this is where pot got it bad rap. No I don't nor ever have used it or any other "illegal" substance. I won't debate it's ill effects vs. alcohol, yes both are classified drugs however. But legalizing it may possibly be worse in one regard, why?  GOVERNMENT, fed., state, county, local. Once legalizing it would I'd think probably greatly increase it's sale price. I have no idea what it cost to buy it, but now I assume it is negotiable ? So add what ever cost it may end up being, add potentially 4 seperate taxes on top of that and you have more problems above what ever society now endures because of it. The legalization part sounds perhaps good, but it will not be a cure all................then as heminut beleives it would have to be controlled, that sounds logical, but what does that involve? Laws in as many varribles as "agency's" involved?    :2cents:  :dunno:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009 - 01:21:03 PM »
Long after I quit smoking I thought about the supposed gateway connection. The only gateway is the dealer and the people you associate with. If you hang around people who smoke pot AND do coke well guess what? You will probably be tempted to do a line at some point. Its not pot that does it, its some of the people who use it.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009 - 01:29:02 PM »
well.... interesting topic... as you might perhaps know, in my country it`s "part legal".... you can run into a coffeeshop and buy and use all kinds of cannabis products, but the shops are only allowed to stock 100 grams, and have to purchase their stock though the backdoor cause it`s illegal for them to purchase...  :clueless:  yes... :grinyes:   growing weed is illegal if you have more than 5 plants. This brings the strange situation that the growing is starting to become one huge criminal activity with all problems that come along with it...  no one can keep an eye on the quality and loads of "bad "stuff are added to the plants and their soil to have them produce as much thc ( stuff that makes you high)  as possible. I first smoked pot when I was 15 years old and I still do so you might say I have some experience here... back then it was still illegal to buy, have and use pot. There were not half as many people using cause it was not very easy to get. Not only are way more kids using it now, it also is waaaayyyy stronger then back when I first smoked some. Anyone saying it`s not addictive is wrong.  That was the case, but not anymore.  If growing weed would be legalized and quatity could be monitored it would benefit everyone.  The crimescene around it would be gone and they could make sure it wouldn`t come close to a harddrug.  tax income would be huge and ùsers won`t get poison.
I finished school, always had a job and have my house and family, but I know lots of guys who got themselfs in trouble when using pot on a regular bases over a longer period of time...
*** Bart ***

goldengladiator

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009 - 02:06:32 PM »
I agree that it should be legal. There is a long, weird history of demonizing marijuana in this country. I agree with other posters... it's not as bad as alcohol in the short-term, it's no worse than cigarettes in the long-term, and the only reason it would be a gateway is that you buy it from drug dealers...

It's also a major cash crop in California. It would give people jobs.

I also know a lot of people who smoke it. I never have. But a lot of those people have good jobs, good families, etc. and aren't bad people. I've also never met an addict for marijuana.

And once that is legal, we need to legalize steroids, another drug that has been demonized. Is it cheating? Probably. Is it bad for you? Nope. There's basically no scientific evidence of that being bad for you, either...

Also note: I am an educated scientist so I probably have a pretty valid opinion on drugs and health. :)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009 - 03:52:42 PM »
This is a funny coincidence but at the bottom of my page there is an ad for Marijuana rehabilitation!
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline priderocks

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009 - 04:25:28 PM »
Drugs are now more plentiful and more expensive than they were when the "war on drugs" began. By any measure, the war has been a complete disaster. People are slaughtering each other in record numbers for the right to supply the stuff to U.S. users. There is a lot of politics behind the drug scene. Not to steal the post, but I agree with goldengladiator about legalizing steroids. Remember how that got started, with Ben Johnson (Canadian, I believe) testing positive for steroids after his Olympic run? The decision to list anabolic steroids (Schedule 3, I believe. Marijuana is Schedule 1) was made by one guy in the DEA who saw a chance to do a little empire-building. There is probably minimal scientific evidence for the listing of steroids. My son knows a professional baseball pitcher, and the player says steroid use is rampant in the pros. Many professional athletes have switched to HGH (human growth hormone) because it is much more difficult to detect in blood/urine tests. The ironic thing is that I can go to any anti-aging clinic, complain of not having the strength I used to have for my work, and get a prescription for the same stuff, no questions asked.

That said, doing a steroid cycle is not for the uniformed or careless. Steroids can fuse the growth plates of young kids who haven't reached their full height yet. My son knows of a case where some kid thought it would give him big muscles, and instead, it locked him forever at a shorter height.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009 - 04:28:09 PM »
This is a funny coincidence but at the bottom of my page there is an ad for Marijuana rehabilitation!

:faint:   give them my phone#....  :roflsmiley:
*** Bart ***

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009 - 04:38:49 PM »
Go to Amsterdam.  Do you see drug-crazed whackos everywhere?  Nope.

Legalize pot, regulate it, tax it.  It's just that simple.

Alcohol has killed more people, either through their liver, or drunk driving, or getting in fights, than any other  "drug".

Pot?  You may get fat from all the munchies you eat. :popcorn:
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline priderocks

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009 - 04:45:53 PM »
ragtop-dude, something we agree on!

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009 - 05:52:08 PM »
 :iagree: Legalize, regulate and tax so we can pay for all of Obama's spending programs  :poopoke: As with any drug, it effects people differently.  Some people can control it and use it safely as a social enhancer, others it makes them worthless, lazy and can send them down the wrong path.  That's just the way it is.  I just think the money spent on enforcing current pot laws is crazy and could be put to better use.  :2cents:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009 - 06:34:25 PM »
   :sleeping:

Ya ever find yourself in the grocery store...

in front of the frozen orange juice.....

staring.....

At the word Concentrate ? 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 - 06:35:59 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

moparniac

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009 - 06:51:53 PM »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009 - 07:09:52 PM »

I just got something similar. It wants my phone number to re-hab me.   :22yikes:   :eek2:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009 - 07:18:35 PM »
To tell the truth I was one of those that if affected in a negative way. It was not a gateway to stronger drugs, If I had it I smoked, if I was out it was no big deal. It did not make me commit crimes but it did take away any desire to accomplish anything. I was the type that you see most often, frozen in time just wanting to get high and nothing much else. I had no real desire to make a better life, just kind of floating along. That is why I never want to do it again even though I had some really good times. Now I do know a few, very few, who can smoke and lead productive lives, in whose life pot is an enhancer not the end-all, be-all. The number of people that I know who are that way is exactly 2.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009 - 07:44:35 PM »
Back in high school, most of my friends smoked weed and drank.  As the years went by, everyone grew up and got decent jobs, most have wives and kids.  I can only think of one friend who still smokes a little weed, he is a successful plumber with a nice house and 7 kids.
One thing I really remember was the early 80's when Ron and Nancy started the "war on drugs".  I'd have guys I knew from high school coming up to me all the time asking me if I knew where they could score some weed.  The government crack down on drugs had made it much more difficult to smuggle pot into the country.  By the mid to late 80's it seemed like a lot of my friends and people I knew were getting into coke.
It was around this time that crack was invented.
I really don't like coke and I don't like the way coke users act. People on weed are mellow and easy going, cokeheads are pr*cks.  I really felt that cocaine use increased big time after the war on drugs started. Because it was more valuable, criminals could make the same profit sneaking much smaller amounts of coke into the country, which was far easier than trying to smuggle in big bales of pot. Pot became more difficult to "score" than some other drugs.
So really, the war on drugs was responsible for the introduction of crack and the more widespread use of cocaine.  If anything, the war on drugs a bigger reason for people using harder drugs than pot ever was. :2cents:
I have had friends who have had substance abuse problems, and with each and every one of those friends, the problem was drinking.  A number of my friends have had accidents while impaired, always alcohol. One of my friends died 20 years ago riding his motorcycle while drunk.  Looking back I am surprised more of us didn't die, there were some pretty bad accidents involving alcohol with my friends "back in the day".
The fact is that a certain percentage of people are genetically inclined to have problems with intoxicants.  Making any of them illegal does not keep these people from abusing intoxicants.  It is a disease and should be treated as such.
And adults do not need a "mommy" preaching to us about what we should and shouldn't put in our bodies.  Having a drink, a smoke, some weed, even some LSD or other drugs, a double whopper with Cheese, etc. in the privacy of your own home should be a matter of personal choice and free will, not someone in government's!
And by the way, I love beer and an occasional martini or bourbon.  I haven't touched anything illegal in around 25 years.