Author Topic: Dash VIN Tag  (Read 5081 times)

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
Dash VIN Tag
« on: May 13, 2009 - 09:29:18 AM »
Hey everybody,
My car doesn't have a dash VIN and hasn't since I bought it. I had the police check the vin and verify all the other VIN's on the car and numerous states have been satisfied and issued titles and registration so I'm not concerned about that, but it just bothers me not having the dash tag. It is kind of like the pea under the mattress. Is there a legal / proper way to replace these or is it a matter of once it's gone your screwed? :1zhelp:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Dash VIN Tag
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009 - 09:37:10 AM »
Honestly I am surprised you were issued a title. The dash VIN is the primary VIN tag on the car and all others are secondary, from my understanding. I believe there is a company that reproduces dash VIN tags but don't know the name or where they are.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 - 10:29:32 AM »
I was concerned about it as well, that's why I involved the police right after I got it. "After" being the almost stupid part, but everybody was satisfied so I just let it go, but over the years it has bothered me more and more and I'd like to get one on there just to satisfy me.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009 - 11:16:47 AM »
The only legal way to get a replacement VIN tag is to apply for the state issued variety. Most states affix it to the door jamb though, so your dash pad may remain blank.

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009 - 11:51:58 AM »
Well that will be a bummer. I bought the car in California back in '90 and had Illinois check the VIN and inspect the car, title issued. I then moved to Oregon where they checked the VIN and inspected the car, title issued. I now live in Wyoming but haven't registered it here yet. Would I be braking the law if I had one made and installed in addition to the state applied one (with their permission)? Who is the final word on this matter the states or the Fed?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009 - 11:53:47 AM by 340Challman »
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009 - 11:56:21 AM »
Buying, making, selling & / or possesing a countereit VIN tag is a felony.

The car has been inspected due to the lack of a tag, so if it has one in the future, their case will be pretty easy to prove.

You car is legal as it is, why screw with that?  :dunno:

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009 - 12:15:16 PM »
How does the lack of a VIN tag affect the value of the car? Would most people decide to pass on buying a car like this? How about a state afixed VIN tag? Do the state tags have the same VIN as the factory installed? Does having a state tag have a big effect on the value of the car?
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009 - 12:22:57 PM »
Having a state issued tag and/or missing the original dash tag has an impact on the resale value of the car. Personally if the car is missing the dash tag I won't consider it other than for parts. It throws up a lot of red flags for me on the history of the car. Plus you run the risk that someone took the dash tag and registered it on another body and if two cars with the same vin pop up that is another problem all together.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009 - 12:49:45 PM »
Buying, making, selling & / or possesing a countereit VIN tag is a felony.

The car has been inspected due to the lack of a tag, so if it has one in the future, their case will be pretty easy to prove.

You car is legal as it is, why screw with that?  :dunno:

I agree completely. Like I said it is just an irritation that's all. That's why I said legal / proper. It will stay as is. Thanks for the info guys, I knew I could get it here. :2thumbs:
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009 - 08:04:10 PM »
I agree completely. Like I said it is just an irritation that's all. That's why I said legal / proper. It will stay as is. Thanks for the info guys, I knew I could get it here. :2thumbs:

sorry but the only truth you got was a bunch of good samaritains loaded with bad info .its sad to say but every post to this point is faulty . if your car retains the most important tag the cowl #s you need to find a dmv officer that will do a complete nation wide check for past history .this will also lead to the issue of a car with your vin some were else .if that would happen guess what you helped get a fake off the street thats good . also the paper work you already have is more important than  what  a few guys here told you .next you can make a request from your dmv for a repro tag NOT the state issued version thats the easy way out .some would like nothing better than to have you go the easy way out .its their  gain if you should get spooked and dump your car .the people that would buy your car at a very low price will no doubt take the time to get a legal tag yes legal .the sad part is i see many cars including b and a bodys with new tags the funny part is its guys with bigger than life reps in the hobby .it could be they are just smat enough to do a little research and leg work again legal with a state troopers help .before a few clowns get on here to tell me im wrong at least do your home work . so challman all im asking is for you to do some leg work you wont be dissapointed .if you have any issues pm me and i will send you to the right folks in your state . :)
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009 - 09:19:28 PM »
I have a feeling this is about to get ugly!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009 - 09:54:52 PM »
I have a feeling this is about to get ugly!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
yes dave i do think your right this could get ugly ,but i just cant stand by and watch this guy take a hit .if you watch close on all the past threads and the one other thats going today. its always opinion with no facts and the guy that gets hurt is the one that trusts others  baseless opinions so lets watch the show. :popcorn:

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009 - 10:21:56 PM »
There will be no show. I will research what you are saying because it is only my time. I do however have a lot of respect for Barry and the other guys on here. They have a wealth of knowledge that I will continue to tap whenever needed. I thank you for your information and I will take it from here.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009 - 12:04:11 AM »
It is illegal to reproduce factory vin tags.  There is a guy doing it, but he has been warned by police and other agencies to stop.  If you are found to be in possesion of a counterfeit VIN tag, it is a federal crime.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009 - 01:15:40 PM »
It is illegal to reproduce factory vin tags.  There is a guy doing it, but he has been warned by police and other agencies to stop.  If you are found to be in possesion of a counterfeit VIN tag, it is a federal crime.

Ryan

illegal but only warned  :clueless: yeah right