Dash VIN Tag

Author Topic: Dash VIN Tag  (Read 5086 times)

Offline hebeegbz

Re: Dash VIN Tag
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009 - 08:55:07 PM »
So PM me with who you are. I have a hard time believing that by merely explaining what you do and how you come to have the knowledge you claim to have is going to have a negative impact on your livelihood. So come clean and if you can't you are just another guy with an opinion and an attitude. If you want people to listen and respect what you say then you need to be less holier-than-thou and a little more friendly to everybody on here.
I never made any claim that the info you posted was inaccurate and I had every intention of verifying it myself. I am strictly talking about how you present the info. You want to remain anonymous but yet want us to take what you say as gospel. I'm sorry, but until you come clean about why we should take what you say as gospel, you are just another guy with an opinion and the point to this is your attitude.
Take it for what it's worth...  not much, just my opinion
whats this gospel thing and respect , i said to look it up thats not gospel also i never asked for respect or any kind of return or praise for my efforts .all you have to rip me with is my attitude well grow up ,and in turn i wil try and be a little softer spoken with you . :)
thread gone in 60 seconds

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009 - 10:01:33 PM »
.heres what i propose barry if you post more non slanted info by posting actual facts like chally posted

I think you just called me a liar?  :roflsmiley:

Whatever, you are entitled to your opinion.  :wave:

I see cases of VIN fraud almost daily. Some days, several cases. That is why I started this page;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/VINfraud/VINfraud.shtml

It is also why I started the black list to flag cars with VIN issues, these VINs can be found in the black flag section here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/found.shtml

I also cooperate with law enforcement agencies all the time, including the NICB & IAATI. VIN fraud is a major problem in our hobby, & I like my hobby kept CLEAN.  :thumbsup:

Barry

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009 - 11:35:09 PM »
 :blah: :blah: :horse: :horse:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009 - 06:12:19 AM »
Just a couple of points since it appears not everyone really reads & understands what they read, so I will try & clarify....

A state issued VIN tag is legal because it is issued, the felony comes in with the counterfeits that are bought & sold on the black market. The operative words are bought & sold vs. issued.

Also, the links posted are a good read, but unless I missed something, the owner of the car in question already went through the proper steps & that is how he got the state assigned VIN sticker. So, I wonder what good it would do to go through another state? If the car is legal now, they may consider it a waste of their time if it would just result in another sticker from another state.

There is another post here where I described what happened to a guy that did get a Chrysler issued VIN tag on his car, it was a theft recovery. The VIN tag was new issue (at the time, the 80s version with one of the rivets close to the middle vs. the old style with a rivet on each one) so while he did get a Chrysler issued dash VIN, it still did not look original because the old blanks are gone.

Re-read my link,a car that has a missing or damaged vin tag can be issued a new tag with the smae number by the state and attached to the factory dash location-not a state issued vin number on a door sticker.

I agree with hebee that a lot of guys just blurt out "I`ts a felony" anytime someone mentions a missing vin tag and it gets old as it is simply incorrect information.Do the research and contact your DMV and you wil find out the correct info,not someones misinformed opinion.All the DMV officers I`ve dealt with a pretty good helpfull guys and will work with you to make things right and legal.We all want to keep fake cars and vin fraud out of this hobby but we can work together to get the right info out there not fight about it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009 - 12:23:45 PM »
 :iagree:

Issue is resolved. Your point is exactly my point. Nobody needed to get poked in the eye to present the info, just put it out there. No more needs to be said. Let's put it behind us and go back to being gearheads. :burnout: :cheers: :wave:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009 - 12:26:39 PM »
Re-read my link,a car that has a missing or damaged vin tag can be issued a new tag with the smae number by the state and attached to the factory dash location-not a state issued vin number on a door sticker.

Can be? Sure.

But really read what it says, note the word "if" is used repeatedly, also note the word "or". In some cases, original VINs are not available from the manufacturer. Quote below is from your link;

(A) If the registrar determines that the applicant has complied fully with the requirements of rule 4501:1-11-01 of the Administrative Code, a replacement VIN plate or replacement vehicle parts derivative VIN plates, die impressions, or stickers shall be obtained and installed in accordance with this rule.

(B) If it is practical to do so, the registrar shall authorize the use of the original VIN. If it is not practical to authorize the use of the original VIN, the registrar shall assign a new VIN to be used for all purposes in identifying the vehicle and its parts.

(C) If the registrar determines that a duplicate original VIN plate is reasonably available from the original manufacturer of the vehicle, the registrar shall obtain a duplicate original VIN plate to be installed in accordance with this rule.

(D) If the registrar determines that a duplicate original VIN plate is not reasonably available from the original manufacturer of the vehicle, the registrar shall cause an “Ohio replacement VIN” plate to be produced. Said Ohio replacement VIN plate may be produced by the bureau of motor vehicles, the highway patrol, or any other source as prescribed by the registrar. The registrar shall prescribe the size and design of the Ohio replacement VIN plate, which shall be designed to restore the identification of the vehicle in a manner that will deter its theft and facilitate its marketability to the extent that is practical to do so. If it is practical to do so the Ohio replacement VIN plate shall be designed for installation in the manufacturer’s original location. The Ohio replacement VIN plate shall contain such security features as the registrar may prescribe.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009 - 03:01:55 PM »
Yes of course there are "conditions" that have to be met but my point was it can and is done if they are available and conditions are met.   :thumbsup:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009 - 06:45:47 PM »
I think you just called me a liar?  :roflsmiley:

Whatever, you are entitled to your opinion.  :wave:

I see cases of VIN fraud almost daily. Some days, several cases. That is why I started this page;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/VINfraud/VINfraud.shtml

It is also why I started the black list to flag cars with VIN issues, these VINs can be found in the black flag section here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/found.shtml

I also cooperate with law enforcement agencies all the time, including the NICB & IAATI. VIN fraud is a major problem in our hobby, & I like my hobby kept CLEAN.  :thumbsup:

Barry

barry this is every ones hobby, you sir dont have a corner on the i want my hobby clean arguement .we as a total want the same thing .but its not your job to run amuck with such a pompus aditude as if you alone have the right to snub so many posts here with a dirty smile waving finger along with quick fellony jabs ,that serves no good purpose .all the posts i have watched were from what i would call well to do car owners with real life questions and issues and should be treated with respect . i clearly have shown a lack of respect to a few folks on here but respect is also earned and some have shown me they just dont measure up .  also if you see fraud almost every day that would be 365 + a year thats just insane theres not enough cars and numbers to go around much less criminals to fake cars .if anything engine restamps could be rampant but not vin issues . :roflsmiley:

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009 - 06:49:08 PM »

I agree with hebee that a lot of guys just blurt out "I`ts a felony" anytime someone mentions a missing vin tag and it gets old as it is simply incorrect information.Do the research and contact your DMV and you wil find out the correct info,not someones misinformed opinion.All the DMV officers I`ve dealt with a pretty good helpfull guys and will work with you to make things right and legal.We all want to keep fake cars and vin fraud out of this hobby but we can work together to get the right info out there not fight about it.
thanks for the post you put my thoughts to print much better than i could i agree . :cheers:

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009 - 07:00:16 PM »
After all the threads and countless hours spent on vins we have gained very little here . why not start a help section with only the facts from the various agencys sites ,this would free up t.a. and his  croneys to work on their cars and the rest of us to not here the constant rants .  :2cents: