Author Topic: Dash VIN Tag  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
Re: Dash VIN Tag
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009 - 01:19:12 PM »
He's been shut down a few times, changes his information, does it again.  Finds a loophole somewhere, they shut it down, he finds another... like a snake.
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009 - 01:21:56 PM »
 :popcorn:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009 - 06:12:19 PM »
He's been shut down a few times, changes his information, does it again.  Finds a loophole somewhere, they shut it down, he finds another... like a snake.

are you talking about one guy making tags ,or is this about several people making tags and who . i have to asume your not talking about having the car manufacture supply the tag . also are these people changing numbers,that would be real bad or just making tags as the car was built with thanks.
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009 - 09:29:46 PM »
Hebe got me looking, and I came across some good info for the people that are petrified of dealing with VIN tags and body numbers.  Just think everything through, and contact your local DMV and authorities.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/april2003/collision.htm

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009 - 07:25:36 AM »
Perfectly legal in some states-
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501:1-11
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009 - 10:46:23 AM »
As it has been stated in several of these discussions here, every state has different laws pertaining to this and you need to contact your state DMV to find out what is legal in your state. :thumbsup:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009 - 11:48:33 AM »
Perfectly legal in some states-
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501:1-11

Very Cool! :2thumbs:  I hope that Wyoming is onboard with this. I haven't had time yet but I will definitely investigate. If Wyoming does not provide such ability, I may just wait until I move again, because we will be moving again. I will have to research and make sure I move to a state that provides this ability. Now I'm Happy! :cheers: :bigsmile:

For me, I'd like to finish this thread by saying, hebeegbz, you can post information without poking anybody in the eye. You seem to prefer the "in your face" approach which puts a lot of people off. Nobody on here had any ulterior motives by the info they passed out. You are not going to be very well liked with your current approach, and if you don't care about making friends, I would ask why are you here? :dunno:   Just my  :2cents:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009 - 12:07:40 PM »
I think the point he is trying to make is that, if you look back through the history of many of the VIN subject threads, the bulk of the info is heresy, and always ends up with opinionated people saying it's a felony, period, end of story, and that scares a lot of people into not doing something they could otherwise legally do.  Just take a look at how this thread started out and how you were balking at doing anything.  In the end you might be out of luck, but if your intentions are good, and you follow the letter of the law in your state, just as the article I linked to says, a lot more things are possible than others are lead to believe.  Just my  :2cents: .

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009 - 12:12:17 PM »
And if he had explained it just as you just did all would be good. The info was appreciated. I just feel that he didn't need to be so abrasive. :2thumbs: :2cents:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 - 12:25:18 PM by 340Challman »
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009 - 04:12:50 PM »
Very Cool! :2thumbs:  I hope that Wyoming is onboard with this. I haven't had time yet but I will definitely investigate. If Wyoming does not provide such ability, I may just wait until I move again, because we will be moving again. I will have to research and make sure I move to a state that provides this ability. Now I'm Happy! :cheers: :bigsmile:

For me, I'd like to finish this thread by saying, hebeegbz, you can post information without poking anybody in the eye. You seem to prefer the "in your face" approach which puts a lot of people off. Nobody on here had any ulterior motives by the info they passed out. You are not going to be very well liked with your current approach, and if you don't care about making friends, I would ask why are you here? :dunno:   Just my  :2cents:
First thing im not interested in making friends that would post opinions that can hurt others on this site like so many have already done with all the past and current vin posts here .2 i posted what i know as fact and you ditzed me for the same ones that fed you a line of crap and that just blew me away and you didnt even research my points thats on you.3 so far the only friend you really have on this post is chally he gave you insight and you should hold that close . 4 as for friends if you look at my other posts about the door decals i was dumped on by many here and all i did was call to point that people here should be careful and do some research rather than listen to others ,i never post a single thing from opinion and have never asked to be trusted but to just research what i say and think for ones self . 5 i will some times take a poke in ones eye if they get so far out of line that others can be affected.6 some here have dumped on me for not coming forth on who i am thats because im very deep in the car business and dont want my livelyhood damaged by the same folks that want to post opinions with no known facts . :bigsmile:

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009 - 06:09:59 PM »
And if he had explained it just as you just did all would be good. The info was appreciated. I just feel that he didn't need to be so abrasive. :2thumbs: :2cents:
:iagree:

I felt much the same way. One of the reasons that C-C is such a great site is the ability of the members to post an opinion without telling others directly that they are wrong. As adults we have the ability to gather information, research it and come to a conclusion that we are in search of. Heebeegbz I understand that you are offering useful information and all of us appreciate that but its the way you put it out there that I think offended some members. Now lets all kiss and make up shall we!!! :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009 - 07:14:11 PM »
I think the point he is trying to make is that, if you look back through the history of many of the VIN subject threads, the bulk of the info is heresy, and always ends up with opinionated people saying it's a felony, period, end of story, and that scares a lot of people into not doing something they could otherwise legally do.  Just take a look at how this thread started out and how you were balking at doing anything.  In the end you might be out of luck, but if your intentions are good, and you follow the letter of the law in your state, just as the article I linked to says, a lot more things are possible than others are lead to believe.  Just my  :2cents: .

I gotta agree with this, all too often people jump in and state it's illegal to do this and that with nothing to back it up.  The bottom line is you have to do your own research.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009 - 07:21:41 PM »
Just a couple of points since it appears not everyone really reads & understands what they read, so I will try & clarify....

A state issued VIN tag is legal because it is issued, the felony comes in with the counterfeits that are bought & sold on the black market. The operative words are bought & sold vs. issued.

Also, the links posted are a good read, but unless I missed something, the owner of the car in question already went through the proper steps & that is how he got the state assigned VIN sticker. So, I wonder what good it would do to go through another state? If the car is legal now, they may consider it a waste of their time if it would just result in another sticker from another state.

There is another post here where I described what happened to a guy that did get a Chrysler issued VIN tag on his car, it was a theft recovery. The VIN tag was new issue (at the time, the 80s version with one of the rivets close to the middle vs. the old style with a rivet on each one) so while he did get a Chrysler issued dash VIN, it still did not look original because the old blanks are gone.

Offline 340Challman

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009 - 08:05:42 PM »
6 some here have dumped on me for not coming forth on who i am thats because im very deep in the car business and dont want my livelyhood damaged by the same folks that want to post opinions with no known facts . :bigsmile:

So PM me with who you are. I have a hard time believing that by merely explaining what you do and how you come to have the knowledge you claim to have is going to have a negative impact on your livelihood. So come clean and if you can't you are just another guy with an opinion and an attitude. If you want people to listen and respect what you say then you need to be less holier-than-thou and a little more friendly to everybody on here.
I never made any claim that the info you posted was inaccurate and I had every intention of verifying it myself. I am strictly talking about how you present the info. You want to remain anonymous but yet want us to take what you say as gospel. I'm sorry, but until you come clean about why we should take what you say as gospel, you are just another guy with an opinion and the point to this is your attitude.
Take it for what it's worth...  not much, just my opinion
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009 - 08:39:02 PM »
Just a couple of points since it appears not everyone really reads & understands what they read, so I will try & clarify....

A state issued VIN tag is legal because it is issued, the felony comes in with the counterfeits that are bought & sold on the black market. The operative words are bought & sold vs. issued.

Also, the links posted are a good read, but unless I missed something, the owner of the car in question already went through the proper steps & that is how he got the state assigned VIN sticker. So, I wonder what good it would do to go through another state? If the car is legal now, they may consider it a waste of their time if it would just result in another sticker from another state.

There is another post here where I described what happened to a guy that did get a Chrysler issued VIN tag on his car, it was a theft recovery. The VIN tag was new issue (at the time, the 80s version with one of the rivets close to the middle vs. the old style with a rivet on each one) so while he did get a Chrysler issued dash VIN, it still did not look original because the old blanks are gone.
barry the car in question is likely stuck with a state tag ,but i have to ask how many cars over the last few years have been down graded because of bad info from all the guys playing car natzi with words like felon and other scare tactics . there is no state to state differences in law but there are differences in procedures thats outlined in the icar rules .also if you look closer a car owner can have a tag made to near exact or even a custom tag made outsourced as long as the owner has requested from the dmv and is excepted .once this is done dmv will install the owners new tag with proper rivets . on an e body the car would need to have the dash or glass removed first . also the black market point you made about vins puzzles me because who would buy a black market tag the tag would need to be a total new item as never existed , to do this you would need a real good source of existing cars and cars that have been destroyed .the only people that would have a good data base for this would be the guru or a registry loaded with current and past cars to build from or a continuation set of numbers and that would be a tall order to fill with any luck of not getting caught in the end its not a real issue and yet it comes up every month or so .heres what i propose barry if you post more non slanted info by posting actual facts like chally posted and another poster just did and maybe add these facts along with what others will add in the cc archives i will try and be a little less abrasive and we can bury this continuing vin b.s..thanks for your consideration. :)