Author Topic: Engine stalls when put in gear ?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Zack Mckellips

Engine stalls when put in gear ?
« on: May 16, 2009 - 09:52:52 PM »
I got the Super bee running last week, runs great but, the mild 383 with a 750 demon, wants and is stalling when in D or R, I though the cam was a little, much for the stock torque conv. so I installed a hughes performance 2000-2200 stall today, its a little better but is still doing it, timing is set at 36 degrees locked down in the msd, and the carb seems like it is set good, runs good otherwise, I checked the intake for a leak with brake clean and no change, I found a thread with a vaccum leak on a demon carb with a Mopar m1, at the inner carb mount stud holes, but I have a eledbrook perf. rpm, I will check and see if they go through and are open tommorow. any other ideas ?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Engine stalls when put in gear ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009 - 10:09:40 PM »
Whatcha got for a cam?  I know you got a baby converter :2thumbt
s: Dont rule it out as just yet

Offline Zack Mckellips

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009 - 10:14:30 PM »
its a 284/284 mopar

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009 - 10:24:28 PM »
Still could be leaking under the intake...but another thing is what is the vacuum at idle and what is the power valve you have in the Demon?

Say its 6.5 and your idle in park is 10 inches, you drop it in gear and the vacuum drops to 6 inches-power valve opens and the motor stalls since the mixture went super rich.

Try a 4 maybe 3.5 inch power valve.

Another thing with big cam motors is lots of timing at idle. You will need to limit the advance curve and run like 18 degrees at idle and still only 34-35 total advance. (I have an MSD E-Curve dist and its super easy to set up but the older spring units have a brushing to limit the advance--stock dist need to have the slot welded smaller. 

moparniac

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 - 03:41:37 PM »
 I found a thread with a vaccum leak on a demon carb with a Mopar m1, at the inner carb mount stud holes, but I have a eledbrook perf. rpm, I will check and see if they go through and are open tommorow. any other ideas ?
[/quote]

I had a leak from under my dominator about a week ago and the car would not stay running..... changed gasket and no issues now....  :working:

Vac should be checked with car in gear.....

Offline Zack Mckellips

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009 - 10:13:39 PM »
I got it fixed today, the torque converntor helped so I got it to try to idle in gear, then had a friend keep the engine running in gear and I played with 4 mixture screws and got it to idle good, so between the mixture that seemed good when driving the car and the stock torque convertor, it made for bad in gear idle, but all is good now, runs great. thanks for the help  :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Offline black68gtx

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013 - 12:13:00 PM »
I know that this is an old post but here is my 2 cents. I had the same problem...finally adjusted the accelerator pump (Holley Carbs) and it works fine.