Author Topic: Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001: AC problem  (Read 4889 times)

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001: AC problem
« on: May 17, 2009 - 12:34:59 AM »
With no AC, I've run the dye with no leaks.  Shop says the dash has to come apart for $1400.00: compressor?  Can't remember as this was late last summer.  :clueless:

Anyhow, it is safe to say that this part of the AC system is the most expensive part to remove and replace.

Any insight, guidance?
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Jeep Cherokee Sport 2001: AC problem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009 - 01:06:21 AM »
moe North ??
 We are getting another blizzard on Monday , no need for A/C around here LOL
 the compressor is on the engine just the heater core [what is it called?] in the dash

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009 - 01:15:25 AM »
has it just got a leak?if so try this stuff called red angel. http://gouniversalproducts.com a freind put the little red bottle in my '96 ran last year and it still cools it's but off.it is expensive though(like $32 a bottle) but i'd try it first before a $1400 dash pull.i know they have it at advance auto,probly at autozone too.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009 - 01:47:47 AM »
Probably the Evaporator Case.  Maybe the Blend Door is stuck.

When the AC was running, it ran more on the warm side too.  I'd like ice cubes too be coming out after the work is done.  :1zhelp:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009 - 02:18:32 AM by joltinjoe »
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 - 06:04:48 AM »
About 8 years ago I paid upwards of a grand to have a new evaporator core put in a 94 Chrysler.
The dash had to be dissembled & for months I was taking it back for problems (5-6 times) they caused not doing it correctly including a 2nd evaporator due to leak (so they said).
I'd try doing it myself given the option.....the evaporator core is not that expensive.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009 - 09:05:06 PM »
For some reason, Chryslers in that era were notorious for leaking evaporator cores.  I used to do Jeep Grand Cherokee and Caravan evap cores left and right.  It was a joke where I worked that everytime one came in for a no A/C condition it was an evap core.... It usually was the cause too!  The part is not expensive, but the labor can be considerable especially if you have not done it before. 

Make sure you replace the receiver dryer or accumulator any time the system is opened.  If you do not have the equipment, at the very least have a shop perform the evac and recharge.  I cringe when I see people buy those generic can tappers that sometimes have a cheesy gauge on them and just start pumping it in.  It is very easy to under or overcharge modern systems since they have very little capacity. Gauge readings are mandatory for proper diag and testing. The system must also have a vacuum pulled on it for at least 30min prior to charging.  Do not forget to add oil too. 

A/C work is generally gravy work with the exception of chasing down small leaks, most parts with the exception of the compressor are cheap.  It's the special tools and equipment that make it hard for the DIYer.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009 - 10:33:20 PM »
If it is the Evaporator, then wouldn't the dye be evident somewhere under the dash?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009 - 08:08:02 AM »
If it is the Evaporator, then wouldn't the dye be evident somewhere under the dash?

Yea....but you'd have to take the dash apart to see it....Device that senses freon can be used to detect leaks....if your tech does not have one seek someone who does..

http://www.hermanscentral.com/department/gas-leak-detectors-10764.cfm?ky=refrigerant%20leak%20detector&gclid=CN_T3JDqxZoCFQVuswodV16TrA
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009 - 12:19:35 PM »
The problem with dye checking under the dash is that you have very little visibility.  The best way to check for a leak in that location is with a refrigerant sniffer.  Without that, you can't get a light in there and shine it on the entire assembly unless you removed it.  Sometimes if the leak is a bad one you can find dye traces on the evap case drain hose outlet. 

If the symptom is indeed a low/no refrigerant charge, you can pinpoint it through process of elimination.  Everything else is easy enough to check with dye and a light under the hood, so if nothing else is leaking it has to be the evaporator. 

Make sure when you do dye testing that you are also charging the system along with the dye injection, then you have to run it.  The dye mixes with the oil charge, so if it is not run the refrigerant will leak out without the dye circulating to show the leakpoint(s).  Depending on the size of the leak you may have to run it anywhere from 30 minutes to a week or two.  Some leaks are also only pronounced when it is hot or cold out, which can be difficult to find.