Author Topic: POWER STEERING PUMP OIL  (Read 4479 times)

Offline allen

POWER STEERING PUMP OIL
« on: May 17, 2009 - 05:31:15 PM »
The power steering pump on my T/A challenger has no dipstick on the cap , should there be?  how fill should it be and am i right that you use auto trans fluid to fill it ?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: POWER STEERING PUMP OIL
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009 - 05:33:39 PM »
There should be a gauge attached to the under side of the cap for reading, it will have the fill mark on it.  You want the fluid to be half way up the neck of the pump if you do not have the gauge attached.  And yes you are right, Auto trans fluid is what is used in your Power Steer pump :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009 - 06:32:38 PM »
Auto trans fluid will eat your seals quicker than I can type this thread! Power steering fluid ONLY!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009 - 10:09:58 PM »
We must have different oils to what you use in America :dunno: , as it is written on the bottle of fluid i use in my 727 that it can be used in power steer units  :2thumbs:

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009 - 10:28:50 PM »
Auto trans fluid will eat your seals quicker than I can type this thread! Power steering fluid ONLY!

Been there and, done that.  :drool:  :grinno:  FFI said any quality PS fluid is fine though.

As a possible reference, full (cold) is about 2-1/2'' down from the top on my 70 Challenger. :dunno:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009 - 10:41:29 AM »
Up until the early 70's tranny fluid had whale oil in it, and that is what made it compatible for power steering use. When they took the whale oil out of tranny fluid it was no longer compatible and since then has not been recommended for use in power steering. I'm not sure what formulation you have over there Ken, it's probably different than what we have here in the states.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009 - 04:18:35 PM »
Up until the early 70's tranny fluid had whale oil in it, and that is what made it compatible for power steering use. When they took the whale oil out of tranny fluid it was no longer compatible and since then has not been recommended for use in power steering. I'm not sure what formulation you have over there Ken, it's probably different than what we have here in the states.
that's cool :thumbsup: on a slightly different subject, i have noticed when an engine lands here from America that has been imported, like a used running 440 out of a motorhome, they are always sludged up in the oil pan and through the engine, we never have that problem here, we have conditioners in our oil to treat it and keep it clean, so i am guessing this would be the same Whale oil based substance you are talking about in your engine oils as well. :dunno:

Offline allen

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009 - 06:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guys , i used the tranny fluid CASTROL DEXTRON 3 , i had some left over from a 727 fill and it does say you can use it for power steering on back of bottle , so maybe our oil downunder is different i know our petrol certainly is .

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009 - 12:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the feed back guys , i used the tranny fluid CASTROL DEXTRON 3 , i had some left over from a 727 fill and it does say you can use it for power steering on back of bottle , so maybe our oil downunder is different i know our petrol certainly is .
:22yikes:  :wow: look at that, it is not written in Black and White is it ? I too use the same brand Castrol fluid in my box............. :2thumbs:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009 - 10:24:33 AM »
Ken, I'm not familiar with your oils over there at all. The whale oil was in the tranny fluids here. I've not heard of whale oil being in motor oil at all. Anythings possible though.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009 - 04:13:46 PM »
Ken, I'm not familiar with your oils over there at all. The whale oil was in the tranny fluids here. I've not heard of whale oil being in motor oil at all. Anythings possible though.
Thanks for that buddy :2thumbs:

Offline allen

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009 - 04:34:55 PM »
yeah i know , should of looked at back of bottle before sending question daaaaaahhh !!!!! thanks guys  :screwy:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009 - 04:39:00 PM »
 :bananasmi all good Allen, i am surprised we do have the same bottles of fluid.  I have noticed other fluids different here to over there buddy :2thumbs: great it worked out, we also have a power steer conditioner/anti leak fluid here.  May think about running some of that in your system too if it is available in America also. :2thumbs:

Offline allen

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009 - 05:58:28 PM »
Hemiken , I am from down under as well but on the other side of the ditch in NZ , :)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009 - 06:41:58 PM »
Hi Allen :wave: , i did not know that. So that makes me living in the West Island of New Zealand then :smilielol: