Author Topic: Now I'm done looking for a job  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Now I'm done looking for a job
« on: May 20, 2009 - 02:13:12 PM »
It's been coming at me now for the last 2-3 months.

Let me back up and tell you my situation:

What I do and do well at is business development. I was taught at a previous employer on how to navigate within companies by phone finding the key decision makers on purchasing and engineering. What I would do is follow up and qualify what their needs are and do quotes of wire harnesses. Well the Silicon Valley where I live is drying up real bad business wise on new orders like a lake bed in the middle of Summer. Companies are sticking to their current vendors and they're not adding new suppliers to their list. After a year of hammering the phones, qualifying, doing audits and NDA's; the momentum is dying now for me to get new business. I've been able to average 1-2 new quotes per week consistently. But it isn't fast enough to get PO's on the table. 6-8 months is the norm after samples, testing etc.

Therefore, my upper manager has decided they wish to part with me. My immediate manager wishes to retain me. His word isn't carrying any weight to them. He can see the situation better than they and sees alot of potential business coming up ahead. Upper won't listen. all they see is numbers.

I'm leaving behind a stellar contact database I created. Big companies all over and the key players to contact.
The upper management wants to hire someone to go out and beat feet on the street for new business. Well those days are over. That worked many years ago. Today getting new business is more on the phone and internet. Then go meet once things get closer.

It's meant to be I feel that I'm getting cut. Electronics is just not meant for me.
In the meantime, I get e-mails coming in the be a Farmers Insurance salesman. Yeah whoopee. No thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 - 06:40:32 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
Re: Now I'm done also
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 - 02:25:09 PM »
Wow Mike...
Sorry to hear that. I wish you well on getting something in the near future.
Tony
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009 - 02:27:54 PM »
Nice, they don't take all the current contacts/contracts that you brought to the table.  Basically they will find a young kid to run around for less $$$ and benefits, but they will lack the salesmanship you brought to the table.

Good luck, you'll bounce back stronger.

Tom

Been making some changes around here myself with the way things have been.  The changes will help create a less stressfull home life here. :2thumbs:  If that's possible.LOL
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009 - 02:38:17 PM »
I hate to hear this.  I hope that a new door opens for you soon.  Take care
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Mike70

• Future Challenger Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009 - 03:08:12 PM »
I hate to hear this.  I hope that a new door opens for you soon.  Take care

:iagree: God opens doors all the time.

Mike
Mike
70 Challenger RT/SE
(If I ever get it done - wait, I guess I have to start first).

Offline budrinker

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009 - 04:01:57 PM »
its a wonderful time we live in.   i used to laugh at my parents stories about the great depression thinking they must be exagerated. i was young and dumb

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009 - 06:21:29 PM »
Any way you can take your contacts with you and try to hire on at a competing firm? I know things are drying up but could there be a rock to turn over that you have not thought of yet? I hope you find what you need quickly. I hate to hear how this horrible economy is affecting everyone. My company is about to be in contract negotiations with us. This time last year and we would have cleaned up, this year things are not looking rosy at all. Good luck and keep your head up!   :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009 - 06:34:59 PM »
Sorry to hear this Mike.  I hope you can find something else fast.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009 - 07:59:15 PM »
Any way you can take your contacts with you and try to hire on at a competing firm?  Good luck and keep your head up!   :2thumbs:

Thanks, I have some good business relations with some companies nearby. I called a few today and let them know to keep me in mind if anything shows up. Then I took my whole list home to go thru starting next week to call on. Probably 30-40 contacts I can check out.

I'm going to go take off Friday for the long week end up to Lake Almanor to my folks place and do a little trout fishing and try to clear my head to prepare starting over.

So far I have already had 2 or 3 companies interested in hiring me. One is ZEP. Another one is AFLAC. I can't work for ducks. I'm a Sharks fan.  :lol:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009 - 08:07:19 PM »
Good luck and wish you the very best.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009 - 08:48:43 PM »
Best of luck Mike! I am sure you can find something better.

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009 - 09:19:57 PM »
I feel your pain. I'm still looking for a job. ::)    Hang in there.
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009 - 09:48:20 PM »
That sucks dude!! Hang in there I'm sure something will come your way!! :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009 - 09:49:20 PM »
That sucks to hear. Some sales people I am familar with that were let go were able to bounce back as consultants at accounts they serviced and make more money than their previous job. Might be worth looking into.
I agree with you on the whole pounding the pavement thing, its much more online and phone now, at least in the US. Asia is still big on face to face.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009 - 12:43:26 AM »
HAng in there Mike something better will show up  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t