Author Topic: Dynomax Exhaust Headers  (Read 1076 times)

Offline BarracudaDave

Dynomax Exhaust Headers
« on: May 20, 2009 - 06:59:06 PM »
I've got a set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers in storage that a bought a while back but never took the time to install.  Does anyone have experience with this exhaust, especially installation tips/problems.  I know must Mopar guys like the tti exhaust products.  Should I buy the tti and save myself some aggravation or use the Dynomax that I already have?   Application is a 340 in a 70 Cuda. 

Offline Bluemonster71RT

Re: Dynomax Exhaust Headers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 - 08:45:38 PM »
I am guessing that the install on a 340 is a bit easier than my 383. That said, I had a set of hookers on that were shot so as a cheap option I got the dyno max coated. That was a nightmare. After a year they started to rust through the coating :clueless: They needed to be dented in for the steering shaft and just a pain to get in. Also putting the bolts in was task because of the poor tube placment.  I now have a set of Hooker super comps that I will try when the motor goes in. 

I read somewhere here a post on a 340 header install. It had most of the tips your looking for.  I'll see if I can find it
1971 Challenger RT 383 4spd

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009 - 11:32:17 PM »
I have those headers and they fit great.  No clearancing issues and I have plenty of ground clearance.  I have yet to scrape them.  I've even changed a full size starter (for a new mini of course) without moving them.  My coating is still in good shape, and I have not been very kind with them.  No complaints from me!  I'd never drop $700 on headers unless they installed themselves.  These were under $300 and had no issues.  Install is typical, get the car up as high as possible.  Unbolt the mounts and jack the engine up as high as you can.  Driver side header also has the center link pass through it.  It also goes in through the bottom.  Passenger side from up top I believe.  I also think the column may have to come out, it's been awhile.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009 - 12:37:55 AM »
personally if they go under the center steering link I would sell them as new & use one of the 3 that stay above the steering link

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BarracudaDave

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009 - 03:08:06 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
quagmire,
Sounds like you are happy with your Dynomax setup.  Can you answer Chryco's statement concerning the position of the headers to the steering link?

The installation instructions say to remove the left side tie rod, pitman arm and idler link from the car before starting installation.  No pictures or comments concerning whether they go under or over the steering link. 

They do recommend jacking the car up at least 24" before install.  My jack stands are only 17", so would need at least 7 more inches.  Guess some 2x6 blocks of wood could make up the difference?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009 - 03:11:36 PM by BarracudaDave »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009 - 04:02:25 PM »
I have a set of the Dynomax that aren't coated on my small block and while they got the job done I am far from happy with them. I had to raise my car about an inch for ground clearance and I still hit on some driveways and speed bumps. Having the steering link go through the tubes is also a pain to deal with during the install. I don't know how you could remove the starter without taking the drivers header loose. I have tried several times with no success. I will probably go back to manifolds because the headers are just too much of a hassle.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline quagmire

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009 - 06:37:14 PM »
I have my nose lowered from stock, and I am nowhere near scraping even though a couple of the tubes pass under the center link.  Like I said, I have had zero problems with them.  As for the starter, it took some rotating to get it to clear because of my deep sump oil pan but it came right out.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009 - 11:48:39 PM »
I had mine lower than stock as well and I may be at stock or above and still have an occasional problem especially on taller speed bumps. I will try and take some pics tomorrow of how low they hang down. I would avoid running headers that have the steering pass through the tubes. I wanted to go cheap and am now paying for it.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:02:38 AM »
How old are your headers?  I wonder if they changed the design or something because I can't see how two sets could fit so differently.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:11:20 AM »
Less than a year old.

Offline BarracudaDave

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:30:09 AM »
I appreciate your comments guys, both good and bad.  Keep them coming.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 - 03:45:52 PM by BarracudaDave »

Offline quagmire

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:39:59 AM »
Hmmm... Mine are at least 3yrs old I'd say, very strange!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:52:44 AM »
It's kind of hard to see, but here is a picture of my car from the front and you can see the header tubes hanging down.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009 - 12:52:17 PM »
Wow, those ones do hang really low.  I'll see if I can snap some pics of mine to compare.

Offline BarracudaDave

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009 - 03:54:53 PM »
Don't know for sure, but I suspect the difference between the two is a 383 application versus a 340?  At least I think quagmire has 340, not sure about that either?     ???