Author Topic: AMD Challenger Doorskin Install  (Read 4241 times)

Offline nick68

AMD Challenger Doorskin Install
« on: May 23, 2009 - 04:06:30 PM »
Dave from Roseville sent me my challenger doorskin. Thanks Paul for the prompt delivery. When the box came it was the usual AMD heavy duty box. When I opened it I was a bit leary upon noy seeing styrofoam cushions inside and just bubble wrapping.

But as you can see there was not a dent or ding anywhere. Removing the old doorskin was quite simply a matter of grinding the door edges with a flap wheel sanding disk. The I removed the remaing spot welded edge, Cleaned the edges and primed and test fitted. Only one small area of concern and I believe that was due to a broken doorshell spot weld that caused frame warp. This was my only area I needed to really work with. Other wise the skin just fell right on and the body lines were spot on.

Hanging a heavy door by yourself is not fun , so I got a rolling table that jacks up. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 - 04:12:38 PM by nick68 »
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline nick68

Re: AMD Challenger Doorskin Install
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009 - 04:10:04 PM »
Of course my MIG welder tank was on empty and nobody is open to fill it, so I had to quit for the weekend.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 - 04:11:58 PM by nick68 »

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009 - 05:01:39 PM »
i saw that table, thats a good idea.
looking good.   :bigsmile:

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009 - 07:26:58 PM »
The area you have circled on the picture titled "problem"----is that a stamping problem or is this from the twist due to the broken spot welds you referred to?

I'll be doing the same to my driver's door and I need to know if it's the tooling or another issue before I purchase.

Thanks, Wes

Offline nick68

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009 - 08:45:15 PM »
The jacking table is the greatest thing for door removal and installation. Eastwood has something similiar, but much more expensive. I added the the uprights using common black pipe and flanges.

I am not sure if it is a stamping issue or the broken spot weld plus me removing the remaining door edge with an air chisel. I will check the other door tommorrow. The curve in this area of the doorskin did strike me as odd tho. but like I said I will double check and I was able to coax the door frame into shape with a little hammer and dolly work. It just was not a drop in as I hoped, but not a show stopper in my opinion.

wagesofsin

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009 - 08:48:14 PM »
you da man nick, keep us posted!    :2thumbs:

p.s. anytime i know im gonna be welding, which is all the time , check the tank...   :bigsmile:

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009 - 10:06:06 PM »
Excellent work.  I was lucky and didn't have to replace any skins though.  I am glad we all have an option in case we need to though.  Thanks AMD....   :ylsuper:

Daniel
www.ebodyproducts.com
dj1965@ebodyproducts.com

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009 - 11:05:52 PM »
Nick  Thanks for posting and the good pics.   I used my floor jack with pieces of 4x4 on top of the jack to raise my doors high enough into position by myself.  Did the job.
Phil

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009 - 11:23:14 AM »
My door is off the car.  I am wondering if after I take off the old doorskin to put the door (back on ) the car and to fit the new skin.  I am concerned about the alignment of the two natural creases (body lines) in the door matching up with the rear quarter body lines.   Hmmmm or can I put this on with the door on a bench?  Or perhaps put on but do not spot weld then put the door back on to check the alignment.   Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Offline nick68

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009 - 11:28:04 AM »
"I am wondering if after I take off the old doorskin to put the door (back on ) the car and to fit the new skin."

I put the door shell on back on because I had the problem with the upper front curve . In hindsight I am glad I hung the shell back on first, It looks easier to line up the body line with the skin totally loose. Then I will clamp in place and peen over the lip.

Offline nick68

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009 - 11:33:29 AM »
Looking at the rightside door, it is now my thought that it is NOT a stamping issue, but rather my door being out of whack. I am gonna make a cardboard and sheet metal template and further compare the two sides. And hammer and dolly it back into the correct shape.

Offline nick68

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009 - 11:47:19 AM »
I think the problem is right here.

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009 - 03:09:57 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SWEEET!

I like the table too. I built one as well, mine just hangs the door and keeps it verticle with a few straps, an drolls on some wheels.
I am no where near hangin' my "new" door, but then again, I have no deadline.
 I have a decent door to replace the one on my car that is damaged, but that too needs repair. If I only had money.... :biggrin:

Nice work. I think sometimes the flangework leaves a little to be desired on the re-pop panels. I think it is definitely not a showstopper, but a workable solution. Templates work great to resolve these issues, especially when you do have an original side to work with.

I want to see more. Kudos to AMD and Roseville for bringing the goods to CC.com!
Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline nick68

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009 - 08:37:12 AM »
I was finally able to get back into the garage last nite. I hammered the lip on and was able to resolve my little problem and did a very quick check of the body lines once the doorskin was firmly in place.

From what I can see the body lines are a perfect match to the quarter panel. I have not put the front fender on for a check, but that will come in a few days here. Pictures to follow.  And thanks for all your encouragement.

wagesofsin

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009 - 07:08:01 PM »
way to go nick, glad you figured it out. gonna look great when you button it up.   :2thumbs: