Author Topic: where can I find hidden identification number on a 1973 Challenger  (Read 10593 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: where can I find hidden identification number on a 1973 Challenger
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009 - 08:30:03 AM »
You reference "other people", and I was just curious if you could say from personal experience that it does not exist?  Just curious.

I havent ripped my car down to the rotisserie level or beyond (like chopping frames apart), if that is what you are asking.....

But plenty of others here on this forum and on other forums have broken their cars dow nto the basic elements for restoring....and no one has ever mentioned a "hidden VIN".

Is it a conspiracy?

Think about it -- with all the enthusiasts crawling all over these cars, someone would have found it by now if it really existed.

There's no magic to it.....the factory stamped VINs in certain places when the car was being made.....by now that info would have gotten out to the public.

And like I said, a "hidden" vin wouldnt help stop chopping, since the choppers are breaking cars down to their pieces and (like I also said) would be looking for anything that would cause them problems....

If the cops in the example really could find this "hidden VIN" simply in a couple seconds/minutes, it isnt exactly hiddden that well and enthusiasts would have spread the word by now.

I think this is an urban myth....I also agree that the cop asked the owner to leave the room so he could go "vroom vroom" behind the wheel.   :2thumbs: :stirpot:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009 - 10:20:06 AM »
On this thread, it is mentioned "Theft ID #s" that the police are aware of, meaning on the radiator support and the trunk drip rail, but this is for a '69 mRoad Runner.  I think some Darts or something had #s on the trunk drip rail as well.  Never heard of any E-bodies haveing any #s other than what's already been mentioned in this thread.  :dunno:

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-45727.html
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:45:20 PM »
Its been only a few years since mopar restorers have taken notice of suspension #s on control arms and for many years the folk lor about hp2 ment 2nd shift but no hp3s .and yet some like shandango think every thing is known yet they cant see it . I couldnt see the vin on a car i had chemicaly dipped but i let the car sit over night before sealer and where i had touched a few places the day before had brown spots from sweat and when i preped the spots with scotch brite and acid the vin showed up it was a dumb luck find several club members looked at the find ,to this day not to many have shared the info . I will say that its the set that gets the lions share of rebodys when shipped over seas just last year several cars were caught exiting the usa  vette harley 70 road runner along with others .  :walkaway:
thread gone in 60 seconds