Author Topic: where can I find hidden identification number on a 1973 Challenger  (Read 10597 times)

Offline challenger mama

My husband is getting ready to dismantle his 1973 Challenger so he can restore it. A friend told him to find where the "hidden" identification number is located so he would not destroy that section. We were told that it could be seen through location holes in the frame rails. Can anybody tell me where to find it? Thank you for any help you can give. We already have the vin numbers on the door and the fender tag and the core support. The vin tag on the dash was destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 - 06:36:51 PM by challenger mama »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: where can I find hidden identification number on a 1973 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009 - 06:25:45 PM »
The radiator core suport will have part of the vin numbers stamped on it, the cowel on the drivers side will also, then the dash has the vin and maybe the door stcker on the end of the door.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 - 06:27:27 PM »
 :iagree: and he should have a fender tag screwed to the inner gaurd on the driver side :2thumbs: in the engine bay.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 - 06:43:43 PM »
 :iagree:

Others talk of hidden VIN stampings, but the ones listed above are it.  No other "hidden" VINs that only some people know about.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009 - 08:37:28 PM »
:iagree:

Others talk of hidden VIN stampings, but the ones listed above are it.  No other "hidden" VINs that only some people know about.
There is another VIN number on another part that is very well hidden, and you have to know exactly where it is to find it.  Obviously chop shops can change the easily accessible ones, which is why there is in fact a hidden one.  I've never seen mine, but I was with another guy when he was getting his 71 V code Cuda inspected by local LE, and they actually had us leave the area when he was ready to check it.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009 - 08:39:15 PM »
There is another VIN number on another part that is very well hidden, and you have to know exactly where it is to find it.  Obviously chop shops can change the easily accessible ones, which is why there is in fact a hidden one.  I've never seen mine, but I was with another guy when he was getting his 71 V code Cuda inspected by local LE, and they actually had us leave the area when he was ready to check it.

:roflsmiley:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009 - 09:13:27 PM »
He probably called the FBI while you were out of earshot to run the VIN.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009 - 01:09:58 PM »

I dont know, but my thought is that if this were true, SOMEONE would have let the cat out of the bag by now.

But who knows.

Maybe the cop wanted to sit in the car and make "vroom vroom" noises, pretending to drive it.......and thats why he wanted you guys to leave.  LOL

(Hey I did this the first day I got mine home! LOL) :cooldancing:

Offline dusty

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009 - 11:12:42 PM »
You know. I deleted a post just then that had the s3cr3t answer, because I just don't see how a dash vin plate gets destroyed, unless someone is up to a reb0dy. And that hurts the hobby, and it just sucks.

sorry.

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009 - 12:06:28 AM »
68 and earlier models had the #s on the rear bumper support seen when you look up at the car when on a transport truck for shipping and inventory. after 68 it was moved forward onto the first tin installed . if you find it the cars most likely not worth restoring . most guys that have found this set of numbers are usually salvage yard workers that cut cars up for scrap . for what its worth to share this info would do more harm than good .i cant help but notice the first post is the members only post .
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009 - 09:15:17 AM »
Considering that many folks here hve done complete rotisserie body-off restos here and on other sites, it seems funny that no one would have found this magical secret location. 

I mean, some folks here have been over every inch and then some of their cars.....

Chop shops would be more likely to find this "secret spot" than an average owner....after all, the yare chopping and trying to sell the parts.....dontcha think they would be looking extra close for stuff like this?

Plus, if this number were on any part other than the frame or body, who is to say that it would still be "accurate" unless its a 100% original car? And even then..who knows....

:stirpot: 

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009 - 09:57:43 AM »
Considering that many folks here hve done complete rotisserie body-off restos here and on other sites, it seems funny that no one would have found this magical secret location. 

I mean, some folks here have been over every inch and then some of their cars.....

Chop shops would be more likely to find this "secret spot" than an average owner....after all, the yare chopping and trying to sell the parts.....dontcha think they would be looking extra close for stuff like this?

Plus, if this number were on any part other than the frame or body, who is to say that it would still be "accurate" unless its a 100% original car? And even then..who knows....

:stirpot:
:clueless: Are you speaking from experience or just hypothetically?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009 - 10:06:52 AM »

Maybe the cop wanted to sit in the car and make "vroom vroom" noises, pretending to drive it.......and thats why he wanted you guys to leave.  LOL

:roflsmiley:  :smilielol:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:45:34 PM »
:clueless: Are you speaking from experience or just hypothetically?

Not sure what you mean.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:49:55 PM »
Not sure what you mean.
You reference "other people", and I was just curious if you could say from personal experience that it does not exist?  Just curious.