Author Topic: Rear Seat Back and Belt question.  (Read 981 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
Rear Seat Back and Belt question.
« on: May 27, 2009 - 02:46:51 PM »
OK, I have been digging in the graves and came up with nothing.  I either cannot see any pics anymore or there is no info.  I am trying to put my rear seats and seat belts in my 71 Chally.  I was not the one to remove them and cannot find anything in any of my manuals to show how to put them back.  I set the seat back in and do not know how to bolt it down.  There are about 4 holes where the "up-side down loop" would go to fasten the seat back down.  There are 3 smaller holes in a triangular shape and a square hole above and below that. 
Then there are the rear seatbelts.  I have some retractable rear seatbelts from a 73?? and was wondering if there is anyone that has ever used them on an earlier model. 
If anyone has some pics of the seat back and seat belts installed, (without the seat installed) I would appreciate if you could post.  Thanks. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              :feedback:
Jason

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Rear Seat Back and Belt question.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009 - 05:17:35 PM »
I can't help with bolting the seat in place. Mine just sits there.   :grinyes: It's not a big deal to me.

I tried putting retractable belts from a 73 in my car. No go.   :grinno:  The floor panels of the later year E-Bodies, apparently have provisions for the retractors. They wouldn't fit under my rear seat. I just bought some lap belts from Paddock Parts. They look close enough to the originals for me.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 - 05:45:41 PM »
Thanks Mike!  I was thinking that I might have to go that way.  I was just hoping to use these since they are in pretty decent shape.  With the seat in place, the seat back will not move?  Is that why yours is just hanging there or do you think that it is supposed to be that way?
Jason

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 - 05:57:48 PM »
Thanks Mike!  I was thinking that I might have to go that way.  I was just hoping to use these since they are in pretty decent shape.  With the seat in place, the seat back will not move?  Is that why yours is just hanging there or do you think that it is supposed to be that way?

I know the seat was supposed to be bolted to the back panel somehow. I never really tried to anchor it down. The seat back leans toward the rear, so it never really does come out of place. It has happened once or twice when slamming on the brakes if I got cut off at high speed.   :stomp:  Seriously, it isn't a problem for me but hopefully someone else can help with how to bolt it down.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009 - 06:07:21 PM »
SO, 72 and earlier e bodies only had non retractable rear belts then?

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 - 06:12:32 PM »
your 71 belts do not retract......the female ends go in the center and you will find the belt anchors at the back. The male ends bolt to the sides. I have jsut removed my rear 70 belts and that is where they were attachted to. My back seat is not bolted in, it just fits into the brackets

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009 - 08:23:56 PM »
HemiOrange70, when you say that it just fits into the brackets, do you mean the upper ones that the rear seat divider panel also fits on?   What do you think that those loops at the bottom of the seatback are for? 

Does anyone have a pic of where the rear seatbelts bolt to?  I think I may have covered over mine when I laid my carpet.  Someone told me that I should use contact cement to keep it down.  I only wish I knew then what I know now........and it's still not enough!
Jason

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009 - 08:34:49 PM »
This may help;

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009 - 08:39:04 PM »
The screws look like this, head size on this one is 7/16", but some I have seen are 3/8".

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009 - 11:10:39 PM »
Thanks Alaskan_TA!  Those are perfect pics and thanks for the info that a screw does go through.  I know I have a couple of those laying around somewhere.
Again, Thanks!
Jason

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009 - 10:37:04 AM »
Thanks Barry.  :2thumbs:

I need the information on the screw and location as well.  Once again you have killed two birds with one stone.  :cheers:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)