Door and/or Window Rattles

Author Topic: Door and/or Window Rattles  (Read 4174 times)

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
Door and/or Window Rattles
« on: May 28, 2009 - 08:47:15 PM »
I'm going to be pulling the door panels soon and I have rattles in both my doors that are driving me crazy.   I know that moving the windows up or down a little (or lot) doesn't seem to make any difference.   So, any tricks to figuring out where those rattles might be coming from?    All ideas welcome!   

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Door and/or Window Rattles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 - 02:14:58 AM »
there is a series of adjustment available to get everything tight again
 start with the slides in the tracks , there are 2 in the front track if either is broken or missing start there , then there are adjusters that slide in towards the glass , make sure the felt is in good condition & clean , you can glue on new velcro material [not the hook part] to replace the felt.
 good idea to clean & grease the tracks while you are in there as well as the regulator with white lithium

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 - 11:02:30 AM »
Other common rattles in that area are a loose side-view mirror or the remote mirror cable rubbing on something.  Check those out before you start tearing everything apart.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009 - 11:53:02 AM »
The worst rattle I had was with the windows rolled down, the tops of the glass would rattle against the top of the inner door frames (metal).  I used a couple of the 1/4 inch thick or so felt pads about an inch long with the self adhesive, and stuck them to the inside top of each door, just below the rubber flap insert, and the rattles went away.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009 - 12:21:08 PM »
The worst rattle I had was with the windows rolled down, the tops of the glass would rattle against the top of the inner door frames (metal).  I used a couple of the 1/4 inch thick or so felt pads about an inch long with the self adhesive, and stuck them to the inside top of each door, just below the rubber flap insert, and the rattles went away.
that is where the adjustable pads should be
 the inner door lock & latch rods should be pinched by the rear window track at th eback of the door as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009 - 09:36:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice..... hopefully its something simple (and easy to fix!).   I hate rattles!   

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009 - 09:42:35 PM »
H E L P

Ok.... got both door panels off.   Tightened all the window adjustments - everything is lined up and works well.   No missing anything.   Window rolls up and down nicely, tight (window guides are great) and window doesn't rattle.   

But -- driving down the road and there is a darn rattle on both sides.   I"ve left the panels off and I still can't find them (both sides).   I thought it was the door lock mechanism -- but while driving I was able to get one hand (fingers) and hold the mechanism.... not there.   The darn sound travels so -- hard to pin point. 

I haven't taken the rear panels off (perhaps the sound is traveling?)    Is there anything back there that could cause this rattle (again, both sides, especially at low speeds).   Also, this is a Vert that has the special sliding door guides ..... they are very tight, but I can only check them with the door open.   Could these be the source?    Finally, since this is a Vert -- is it possibly just flex in the body .... ??    Very Annoying! 

All ideas welcome! 
VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009 - 10:44:37 PM »
Can you hear any rattles with the car in the garage not running  opening can closing the door or moving it back and forth real fast?
Speaker wire maybe.
Can you have someone listen why you drive?
Find a rough road on a hill shut the car off and let it coast down the hill hear any thing?
Try putting it in neutral as you are traveling down the road and see if it goes away.
Could it be an exhaust pipe rattling?
  :2cents:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009 - 10:59:33 PM »
No speakers in the rear.   The exhaust is very tight -- but still something to check -- but I'm 99.9% it is in the door (and/or rear qtr).

Good ideas (hill, turn off engine -- and especially get a rider.... ).    I'll try those tomorrow....    Sure is frustrating -- sure sounds like it is coming fright from the door locking mechanism area.... but I can't seem to locate it....

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009 - 03:33:30 PM »
Is your striker tight?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline VTMopar

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009 - 09:20:37 PM »
I may have found it.    Drove around slow without front/rear door panels with the wife with me.   The rattle stopped with the door open (both sides).    I suspected the special spring-loaded wedges (I think these are unique to convertibles)    I removed the slider piece from the door -- and so far -- no rattle (although I only took a short drive with them removed as I ran out of time) -- but I think this may be it. 

So, for all the VERT owners out there.... anyone else have this issue?   I dont quite yet understand why they would make a rattle, as they are spring loaded (on the door post) and the wedge clip on the door would seem to keep them tight....   ????    Anyone?

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009 - 09:39:55 PM »
Thanks, I think mine does it too. With so many rattles I'll to pay better attention to that the next time I take the car out.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline easy610

• Keeping Michigan zombie free one round at a time..
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009 - 05:04:55 PM »
I am having a b!t<# of a time with my door window crank assemblies....

Went to replace worn parts (got the kit from Year One), but the new crisp parts don't stay on the worn parts of the crank assembly.

Can I buy ALL new parts?

Anyone know of a good body shop in SE Michigan I could have work on this?  I have more $ than time...not that I'm rich but I"d prob prefer to pay someone to do this right...

Cheers,
1972 'Cuda 340 4spd, Blk/Blk.

Sold November 2012.  Will be missed and fondly remembered...

Replaced by this..I know, I know it ain't no classic...but it doesn't rattle and is wicked fast even with AC on...