Author Topic: Manual Proportioning Valve Plumbing Diagram  (Read 7168 times)

Offline elevenssc

Manual Proportioning Valve Plumbing Diagram
« on: June 01, 2009 - 11:49:54 AM »
Anyone out there able to post a photo of their manual brake proportioning valve and diagram what line goes where?  :1zhelp:

I'm in need of this info because I have to put my manual proportioning valve back on the car, and I did not take note of the plumbing before disassembly.

Here's the short story...
I bought a front disk brake conversion kit from "The Right Stuff" back in May of 2007.  Got around to installing the brake kit winter 08-09.  While driving the car this summer, the brakes would not release at random times after the pedal is released. ( a real problem at highway speeds) 

I called the tech line and found out that "The Right Stuff" is no longer selling automatic proportioning valves for their front disk brake upgrades because of sticking problems with the automatic proportioning valves.  They now recommend that the factory manual brake proportioning valve be used in combination with an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes.  (they do sell factory proportioning valves for extra $$$)  Bottom line...I need to re-install my manual brake proportioning valve...but I need to know what line goes where.

I've been chasing this problem for a month or two and thought I had it figured out.  On the way home from Mopars in the Park on Saturday, the brakes decided not to release at 70MPH...what a drag.  Fortunately, I was able to pull off before things caught fire, and the valve decided to work propperly the rest of the way home.  I now know the source of the problem, and why my brake light wont go off.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Manual Proportioning Valve Plumbing Diagram
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009 - 04:55:22 PM »
The proportioning valves changed over the years. Can I assume you want a pic of the 1970 style?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009 - 08:10:17 PM »
 Yes, a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda manual brake proportioning valve plumbing diagram would be the one I need :bigsmile:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009 - 09:23:23 PM »
There was a change-over in 1970, which style do you have?

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009 - 09:07:37 PM »
This kind...

The line at the top goes to the large, rear MC resivoir for the front brakes.  The line at the bottom goes to the smaller, forward MC resivoir for the rear brakes.  I'm assuming that the two open ports at the top go to the front brakes, and the single open port (opposite the line...hidden) at the bottom goes to the rear.

Offline stinger

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009 - 08:09:13 PM »
This kind...

The line at the top goes to the large, rear MC resivoir for the front brakes.  The line at the bottom goes to the smaller, forward MC resivoir for the rear brakes.  I'm assuming that the two open ports at the top go to the front brakes, and the single open port (opposite the line...hidden) at the bottom goes to the rear.

Sounds Correct BUT what size are the fittings you have there in the top ports?

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 - 09:23:02 PM »
Just an update that I did plumb the proportioning valve the way I mentioned before and things seem to be working just fine.  Still tweaking the adjustable proportioning valve to the rear, but nothing major.

The fittings did fit...both the smaller ones to the wheels, and the larger ones from the master cylinder.  Best of all, no leaks!!! :woo: