Author Topic: E-body door panels, Accuform or Palco?  (Read 7851 times)

Offline ebodychallenger

E-body door panels, Accuform or Palco?
« on: June 01, 2009 - 04:44:49 PM »
Hi experts,

What kind of experiences you have from Accuform or Palco E-body door panels?

Are they both junk?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: E-body door panels, Accuform or Palco?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009 - 04:50:48 PM »
I had Palco's for a year and threw them in the trash. I just didn't like the hard plastic feel. The grain didn't match the rear panels. The fitment wasn't really up to snuff either.

Other than that, they were great.    :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ebodychallenger

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009 - 05:06:06 PM »
I had Palco's for a year and threw them in the trash. I just didn't like the hard plastic feel. The grain didn't match the rear panels. The fitment wasn't really up to snuff either.

Other than that, they were great.    :lol:

Mike

So it sounds like Palco is now out of the question.
Dante's is selling them and he says, they are the best available from the markets.

Is Accuform any better than Palco?

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009 - 05:17:09 PM »
Unfortunately that could be the case, but don't take that to mean that they are of any great quality.  Right now the aftermarket is severely lacking in the door panel market.  It's really kind of surprising with the number of people that need new ones, myself included.  Your best bet is to try and hold out for a decent set of originals.  They pop up on Ebay from time to time.  If you have to get a set of new ones, then get front and rear so at least the grain will match.  Good luck.

Offline ebodychallenger

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009 - 05:28:28 PM »
Unfortunately that could be the case, but don't take that to mean that they are of any great quality.  Right now the aftermarket is severely lacking in the door panel market.  It's really kind of surprising with the number of people that need new ones, myself included.  Your best bet is to try and hold out for a decent set of originals.  They pop up on Ebay from time to time.  If you have to get a set of new ones, then get front and rear so at least the grain will match.  Good luck.

Time to time on eBay has been original door panels for sale, but I would need also the rear panels for a convertible and they seem to be rare.

I've seen one Accuform set that was not good either and I was wondering if Palco's would have been better because Dante's is preferring them.

If I would change the front and rears and seat backs, then they all would have the same type, non-original grain.....

Any better ideas what to do with this case?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009 - 05:45:37 PM »
I have always heard that Palco's are the best ones out there. From the pics I have seen they look good to me. I heard they dont always fit right and like Mike posted they are hard to the touch. How hard is hard though? Of all the E-body door panels I have touched I have never thought of them as any sort of soft at all. They are all hard as a rock as far as I have felt. Only the arm rest by the door lock has any softness to it. If I had the money I would get a white set of Palco's front and rear and not look back. I will never find a good set of original white door panels so its either dye what I have or get aftermarkets. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ebodychallenger

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009 - 06:13:53 PM »
I have always heard that Palco's are the best ones out there. From the pics I have seen they look good to me. I heard they dont always fit right and like Mike posted they are hard to the touch. How hard is hard though? Of all the E-body door panels I have touched I have never thought of them as any sort of soft at all. They are all hard as a rock as far as I have felt. Only the arm rest by the door lock has any softness to it. If I had the money I would get a white set of Palco's front and rear and not look back. I will never find a good set of original white door panels so its either dye what I have or get aftermarkets. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I will also need the white panels for the white interior...

I asked from Legendary the "Deluxe" door panels, but they were no longer selling them. Now they only sell the "Standard" Accuform panels.

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009 - 07:35:02 PM »
their is accuform which has a large grain that is ok, the Palco plastic has more of the textured look closer to the originals. I have seen both and have the Palco in stock in black.
accuform's dont have the mounting screw holes either vs. palco's do have the holes.
I would use the Palco over Accuform, better grain pattern and you dont have to drill screw holes.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009 - 07:50:53 PM »
I saw the palco's at SEMA last year and I could tell the grain was wrong from close to 20 feet away. If you want the car to look right your best bet is to find originals. I would only use the repop panels if I were flipping a car and had no time to hunt for an original set.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009 - 08:58:36 PM »
What about Just Dashes ? I have to do something with my white panels and I have never heard any thing about them.
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009 - 09:10:52 PM »
What Just Dashes does is attach vinyl to the door panels. They look nice, but you can spot them a mile away and definitely do not look stock.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009 - 09:20:01 PM »
 I have 2 original sets one has speaker cut outs in the fronts and the other which is my original green, needs some work but are salvageable. But I decided to go with palco's. They are not perfect and they do need some massaging to make fit. I am happy with them and they look like a stock panel unless you know what you're looking at. Now for those whom say they're not as good or not the same and they'd never use them, well they would if they had to, oh and most of these same guy's have reproduced dash pads in  their cars that can be spotted as a fake from 56' away. :)  It's your car do what you want and don't let some body's opinion ruin your car for you.  Pete

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009 - 10:24:50 PM »
My seat backs are really bad I assume Palco makes them also. I just want every thing to match. I read about 25 pages of post and It might be best to dye what I have. My door panels and back seat panel only have a few wear spots. I dyed the kick panels black and they turned out nice.
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500