Author Topic: Fiat says we don't need the Hemi!!!!!!  (Read 5475 times)

Offline kissalien

Re: Fiat says we don't need the Hemi!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009 - 10:05:43 AM »
Chrysler had already said last year that the hemi was not expected to live beyond 2011, possibly 2010. This is not new news.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009 - 11:24:59 AM »
The Challenger was originally planned to be built for five years. I wonder what their plan was for an engine for the Challenger after 2011. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does this mean that the Challenger won't make it past 2011? Anything's possible.
If they disconitnue the Challenger that quickly, then just about every Challneger built will be somewhat collectible. That means no good deals on used Challys.
The bad thing is, I'm already seeing more new Camaros on the road than new Challengers.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009 - 11:45:14 AM »
Chrysler had already said last year that the hemi was not expected to live beyond 2011, possibly 2010. This is not new news.
That's news to me.  Do you have a link to the story?

Offline kissalien

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009 - 12:43:49 PM »
That's news to me.  Do you have a link to the story?

It looks like the Hemi engine, an icon for the Chrysler Corporation, won't be included in forthcoming applications due to changing fuel economy standards. Rising gas prices have already hurt sales of vehicles featuring these engines, causing Chrysler to cut back production. Now co-president Jim Press has declared, "The Hemi is not the powertrain of the future." Similar to the direction taken by GM, Chrysler is banking on newly developed V6 powerplants to take the reigns from current V8 options. These Phoenix engines are scheduled to hit production in 2009.

The Hemi engine's downfall is its inability to adapt to features proven to increase efficiency. The large combustion chamber design and dual valve structure leads to blow-by of unburned fuel, thus producing large levels of undesired emissions. The use of dual spark plugs has improved burn in the hemispherical combustion chamber, however, it's a solution that increased cost and complexity. More modern and efficient chamber structures, unlike the Hemi, can fit four valves and utilize dual overhead camshafts. Chrysler plans to implement these features into their future V6 engines, along with cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing.

[Source: Automotive News - Subscription Required]

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009 - 12:56:52 PM »
That would be a huge bummer.  So what do they expect to put into the trucks?  How about diesel?  Oh wait, that's another $3K premium because of emissions standards.  So is this the end of the RAM/F150/Silverado as well, or are they not considered light duty trucks and not factor into the mileage requirements?

Offline kissalien

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009 - 01:08:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure that 1/2 ton pickups are considered light duty.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009 - 09:13:58 PM »
I don't want to be too negitive here but if Fiat/Chrysler gets rid of the Hemi, that may end the Dodge truck market. Did anybody notice that Toyota is coming even in the truck market. That Tundra truck is big and I think they have two V-8's also.
Also Nissan has the Titan with a V-8. Who ever thought they would get into the full size pick-up truck market..

Sorry to say but GM-Chrysler pretty much at the end and will take some brains
& money to get back.

Ford better watch their truck market down the road.....

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009 - 12:03:53 PM »
Did anybody notice that Toyota is coming even in the truck market. That Tundra truck is big and I think they have two V-8's also.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Toyota was using the 5.7 hemi in their trucks? They are buying the engines from Chrysler, but can't use the hemi name because Chrysler has it trademarked. I have seen some new Toyota trucks with 5.7 badging on them.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline KZ

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009 - 12:48:05 PM »
I think the only way the HEMI survives is somehow make it a hybrid/electric etc. Something other than a pure gasoline guzzler...that's the bottom line, it may cost to develop, but Lexus has a powerful hybrid engine....the Big 3 have to be more forward thinking

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009 - 01:22:04 PM »
All this Obama-hatin' cracks me up.

If your boy McCan't got in, he's just let GM and CHrysler go belly-up!  At least we'll still have 3 American car companies, regardless if they churn out more small cars; which is gonna be needed when gas goes back up to $4.50/gal.

Hemi/hybrids will be the norm in the next 5 years; not a bad thing.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

sleepychallenger

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009 - 01:28:42 PM »

The bad thing is, I'm already seeing more new Camaros on the road than new Challengers.

where, i havent seen one!!!!

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009 - 03:03:11 PM »
I will just keep the old Stuf frunninbg and not buy a new car.  Ohh...thats right...they will outlaw them then :hyper:.
71 Cuda
2003 PT Cruiser - Ghost Flamed GT Turbo

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009 - 07:43:58 PM »
where, i havent seen one!!!!

Me either.    :popcorn:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009 - 08:07:26 PM »
In a short amount of time 5-6 years we will have one American car company and it will be Ford the only company smart enough not to get into bed with the Goverment.

We will buy cars from China,Korea and other countries Ford will be left with trucks. Hell Hummer just went to China.

I have seen the future boys and girls and thanks to the self centered,egomanics in Washington and the population that cares more about American Idol than freedom it looks like this..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009 - 08:12:29 PM by Tropicalcats »
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009 - 01:05:07 PM »
Who here has a mopar that doesnt have at least one china made part on it . it gets old seeing every one here talking buy american ,and all i have to do is look at the avatars and wonder how much of our cars are now chinese .
thread gone in 60 seconds