Author Topic: 70 Cuda, Looking to sell/trade. CA  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Missy07

• 1970 Plymouth Barracuda
70 Cuda, Looking to sell/trade. CA
« on: June 05, 2009 - 05:47:15 PM »
Hello all, I've been on before but quite a while back. Well I am back, with many questions. The most important is places, people, and prices. I am looking into selling my dads 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, I am located in Fremont, California.

This car is passed to me by my father, it has been my dream car since I was 7 years old, at that time I had no idea what a beauty this car was and could be.

The car has one minor dent in the front left in front of the wheel well which my aunt did when she borrowed it without asking. It hasn't ran since my dad went to Germany with the military, I would say that has been about 25 years give or take. He drained it of all liquids and put it into a Storage unit so my aunt, or anyone else couldn't do it any harm.

If only lived in Southern California, I would for sure have bugged Chip Foose and the Overhaulin crew to steal my dads car and fix her up for us. It has always been my dream to get her running and for her to be MY daily driver.

Now storage is hard to pay for, as I lost my job and so has he, not to mention I currently cant work too hard as I am expecting my first child in October.

Sooooo, If you all could so kindly help me in my search to trade this LOVE OF MY LIFE a nice lil mommy car such as a toyota or honda, and also some cash for my dad to help him get a new Harley, or his Silverado.

How much could a car like this go for? Maximum, Minimum, Trade In?
I have talked to one dealership in Folsom California, and they were willing to do $11,000. Ive been keeping them in mind, and I may still consider them.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009 - 05:50:23 PM by Missy07 »
-Marisa

Offline DanGoodman

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: 70 Cuda, Looking to sell/trade. CA
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009 - 07:40:44 PM »
well I am sure you will have some interest, but we need details. Motor, automatic, 4 speed, mods, mileage.  Also bear in mind a dealer base their price on what they are selling you. You would really have to ask, how much to buy it right out?  If I was selling you a 5,000 dollar car for 10,000, and I wanted to give you 6,000 for your car, I could now give you 11,000. Make sure the deal you make on the new car, is a good price before the trade.  so post this information and I will let you know if I am interested

thanks
MOPAR FAMILY

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009 - 08:06:42 PM »
11k is too cheap for that car. Since you are in Fremont I would bring to Ohlone College on Mission Blvd Sunday to the Mopar Alley Rally car show. I am the president of the club. It is a great show with usually over 300 cars and a swap meet and car corale.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

kudakidd

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 - 09:50:29 PM »
Missy, I received your PM but I don't know what you want me to say. Is it sellable: yes. Will it sell for your price? That depends on many factors. The economy being what it is, makes it difficult to sell any non essential goods.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009 - 10:55:22 PM »
Hi.  I got your PM as well and we really would need more details anout the car before we can offer any price information from you.  Is that picture a current picture?  They would help as well.  I doubt I would ever trade in a Cuda in at a new car dealership.  You will never get as much money and would be better off selling it yourself.  Maybe take a look on Ebay and you can compare your car to some others in the same condition and get an idea of what the going rate is at this time.  Since the economy has been going down the tubes, I really haven't been looking at what Cudas are going for right now.  You can always go to nada.com and type in your Cuda's information and they will tell you the going rate as well.  Good luck, and let us know how everything turns out.  BTW, Welcome Back!!! 

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009 - 11:06:31 PM »
Definitely need more info and current pictures.

If its a non-running car I'm surprised that a dealership would even give 11k. I know its not a '70 or a Barracuda, but I paid 11k for my Challenger and drove it home, and that was over a year ago. I suspect being a Ca car your Barracuda is much cleaner than my Chally, and being a '70 makes it more desirable. But engine/trans info and current pictures would go a long way to help figure out what its worth.

Offline Missy07

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009 - 11:40:30 AM »
11k is too cheap for that car. Since you are in Fremont I would bring to Ohlone College on Mission Blvd Sunday to the Mopar Alley Rally car show. I am the president of the club. It is a great show with usually over 300 cars and a swap meet and car corale.

I have been one time to the Mopar show. In October years ago.
My friend entered is Rumble Bee truck. I never know when they are or I would be there.
-Marisa

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009 - 12:06:59 PM »
Gates open tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. The October show isn't held any more. Apparently from what I found out when i joined Mopar Alley, the October show was put on by another club who has gone away. If you are serious about selling the car I would bring it down to the show and place it in the car corral. The price is only $10. This comparison doesn't hold up the greatest, but it will give you an idea; 2 years ago I bought my 70 barracuda for $9,000, it didn't run the interior was destroyed, the passenger fender was damaged, the grille cracked and passenger bezel gone and the drivers quarter had been hit. If your car is somewhat clean and runs and drives, regardless of what engine and trans are in it, it is probably worth more than $20k. If you want someone to evaluate the car I as well as some other members of Mopar Alley will be at Ohlone setting up today from 1 pm on. You could bring it by and we would be more than willing to help determine the value.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009 - 01:55:12 PM »
I agree that he dealership is offering you aproximately half of its value. I would take a bunch of pictures, give option details and pictures of the data plate and any other documentation like window stickers and build sheets. Put all that information together and put it on ebay with a decent reserve. Love it or hate it but ebay will uncover the cars market value. If its in good shape and has not been driven in 25 years it will probably bring a pretty good price. Good luck and I am sorry that you have to sell it.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Missy07

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009 - 12:15:43 PM »
I fight with myself, I DONT want to sell it, I have looked forward to driving this car my whole life, and its about the only thing we share anymore. I want to restore it, but I also need a running car soon, a reliable family car. But boy if i could get her running I would mind the hassle of putting a baby carrier in the back.

Its behind stuff in the storage, I may or may not try to get it out and trailor it to ohlone today.
Im not supposed to carry heavy stuff. Im gunna ask my friend if hes busy n can help.
-Marisa

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009 - 01:07:21 PM »
Sounds like a triple c project worthy of some effort. It would be great if a few members could get the thing up and running for you. That being said I am not one to talk, I have procrastinated sending a simple air cleaner to sloop for a month now. Sloop if your out there, I will send it next week  :2thumbs:
*Brett*

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009 - 05:30:41 PM »
That picture you posted is 25 years old?  We need a current pic. If it wasnt in a climate countrolled building it will take mega hrs to get it on the right track again.   My 70 was in a garage and parked since 1973. The body and stuff was great, but things like gas tanks, fuel lines, brake lines, interior stitches and stuff were a pita.

Your husband got a car? drive his :bigsmile:  Your dad saved you the car for decades. Now you go and get pregnant at a young early age and haven't even got a car or what not.   Once you sell the car, the dream you and your dad had are gone. Babies happen every three seconds world wide

wagesofsin

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009 - 07:24:59 PM »
That picture you posted is 25 years old?  We need a current pic. If it wasnt in a climate countrolled building it will take mega hrs to get it on the right track again.   My 70 was in a garage and parked since 1973. The body and stuff was great, but things like gas tanks, fuel lines, brake lines, interior stitches and stuff were a pita.

Your husband got a car? drive his :bigsmile:  Your dad saved you the car for decades. Now you go and get pregnant at a young early age and haven't even got a car or what not.   Once you sell the car, the dream you and your dad had are gone. Babies happen every three seconds world wide

ya think?   :clueless:

i almost cant believe the priorities some people set these days.   :puke:

not trying to be a responsible adult here or anything, i dont wanna dampen your spirits.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009 - 07:36:02 PM »
Any baby would take priority over any car to me.

Try not to rush to judgement guys, if I was a young mom to be with a baby on the way I would sell the car too.  ;)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009 - 07:40:36 PM »
Well since its not evident what the situation is I will not speculate. I know that sometimes timing is just off. When my wife and I had our first child things were not perfect, are they ever? Guess what? I was between jobs when our second child showed up and things worked out alright. I would hardly call 25 too young to start a family. The fact is I got married at 22 and actually was 25 when my first child arrived. These economic times have caught a lot of us off guard. Just like someone said in another post, the first things to go in an economic crisis are non essential things. A non running project buried in a garage although really cool, is a non essential thing to most. We need to cut the young lady some slack and try to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
*Brett*