Author Topic: Panel Replacement Advice Needed  (Read 788 times)

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Panel Replacement Advice Needed
« on: June 06, 2009 - 01:49:46 PM »
Man I'm gaining a whole new respect for you guys that have replaced major sheet metal... I have the most pissy little bit to do but never having done I'm in a bit of a quandary in regards to the trunk extension as it relates to the rear of the car.  Problem is I do not need to replace any quarter panel above the valence so getting the last few inches of the trunk extension out is going to cause extra damage to original metal. I'm thinking splice the new to the last 3" of old..

OPINIONS PLEASE

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
Re: Panel Replacement Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009 - 08:38:31 PM »
Are you referring to the last three inches that extends to the tail light panel?  If so, you could just leave this area and but weld then new back in if you wanted....  Also, are you referring to welds on the rear crossmember extension brackets that are welded to the sides of the trunk floor extensions.  This I could see as a problem removing if one could not get the these spot welds.  Can't you get a cut off wheel or a die grinder up in there and grind out the spot welds on the rear cross member extensions?   :thinkerg:  Maybe it would work.

Daniel
www.ebodyproducts.com

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009 - 08:47:05 PM »
if you can facilitate getting a body saw in there...
get one for cheap (harbour freight)

get the panel where you want it and tack it in. as long as you have good sheetmetal on both sides, cut in between and stitch them together every 3 inches.
then remove the excess material, and finish stitching, alternating from the center out. savvy?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009 - 11:06:19 PM »
   So it sounds like you two agree that leaving in the rearmost part of the trunk extension that is welded to the tail panel would be smarter than further butchering.   I believe I could get to the spot welds but based on my experience at the wheel well I would prefer not to. 

I have the HF body saw..I'll just say it's better than nothing, I wonder if there are better blades available.

So I'll proceed tomorrow with this tact.

Thanks
Wade
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009 - 11:21:15 PM »
Wade, I got a spot weld bit brand new from snap on if you want it. Also a cut off wheel. You know I cant hold steady for the shakes, but you can use my tools :2thumbs:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009 - 11:46:06 PM »
Wade, I got a spot weld bit brand new from snap on if you want it. Also a cut off wheel. You know I cant hold steady for the shakes, but you can use my tools :2thumbs:

Thanks for the offer Alan but I have a HF spot weld bit that worked well after I was able to adapt it to a mini angle die grinder... Don't know if I need the cutoff wheel, between the air saw, angle grinder & the grit of my teeth I've managed so far, but I'll keep that in mind.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009 - 08:32:18 AM »
Hey, my uncle just "glued" a quarter on my buddies 72 Cuda and said it was awesome. you should look into this, especially with something so small. apparently it hardens like filler and you sand it. Only comes apart with extreme heat.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100