Author Topic: Dyed my interior!  (Read 789 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Dyed my interior!
« on: June 07, 2009 - 08:07:48 AM »
Well, a good part of it at least.

Ran out of the spray dye after the headliner and passenger seat.

I used our portable "steam cleaner' to get the majority of stains and dirt out (the wastewater was NASTY!  Years of dirt, dust and cigarette smoke...YUCK)  Some light staining remained.....there were two small rust stains at the top of the rear sailpanel, that are still slightly visible.....but I can live with that for now at least.

Its hard to tell in the pictures...but the others stains are "gone".  The flash on the camera makes it look different than it is in person.

Here is the headliner:

BEFORE

AFTER

And the front seat I did....

I think it looks pretty good.    Unless I change my mind, I think the headliner will be permanant.  I like the idea of having something other than the standard repro vinyl that everyone has.   :bigsmile: At least for now that is.

The seats, I plan on redoing this winter (I hope) when I can swing the cost of really nice covers and maybe new foam, along with new padding etc for the rears.....

The dye I am using is "Simply Spray"....each can runs about $10 when I bought it by the 6 pack on ebay from a vendor.  It took 4.5 cans to do the headliner (so about $45) and 1.5 cans to do the first coat on the seat...it will need one more light coat...probably about .75 can or so.....cheaper and better looking than a cheap set of walmart seat covers, i think!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009 - 08:11:27 AM by shadango »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Dyed my interior!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009 - 08:40:22 AM »
It looks good.   :2thumbs:

I dyed my seats with SEM dye, but after a couple of years, I can tell my front seat doesn't look as good as the back, where nobody sits. I think mine is due for a re-spray.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline leithal

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009 - 09:06:20 AM »
Looks good.  I did the same thing with my '66 fastback mustang a couple of years ago and everything is still looking good. 

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009 - 10:07:37 AM »
Thanks!

What brand dye did you use?

I am wondering how the dye on the seats will hold up...Like I said, its meant to be temporary...so we can cruise this season (hopefully by mid July!!!!) and not be too embarassed...but still, want it to hold up.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009 - 11:02:51 AM »
That looks like blood stains all over the headliner. What the heck went on in that car?
Dave

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009 - 11:34:27 PM »
That looks like blood stains all over the headliner. What the heck went on in that car?

LOL  I dont think (or at least I hope it isnt) blood!

Its either mold, or it could be mouse pee or maybe some condensation bringing out years of cigarette tar and crap.....I am guessing the last.

Most of it came out pretty fast though some tell tale stains remained even after steam cleaning it.....the black dye covered nicely. 

The car feels SO much different now with the headliner not being so nasty and the trim parts resprayed....started reassembling today....realized I needed the headliner trim clips before I could go any further....so there goes another $25 on ebay,,,,LOL

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009 - 12:27:01 AM »

Pulp Fiction anyone?   :smilielol:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*