Manual or Power Steering?

Author Topic: Manual or Power Steering?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Manual or Power Steering?
« on: July 16, 2004 - 11:40:04 AM »
      I am asking the question because I can't make up my mind on what I want to do with my project.  Of course I know that the manual steering is more responsive, simpler, and won't rob power from the engine, but the power steering is a nice convenience (got to keep in mind that the little woman may want to drive it).  I am building a Barracuda with the idea of updating the car to make it a very street friendly animal with a 600+hp big block, overdrive transmission, great handling, 17in wheels, A/C, and power windows.  It hopefully will be a car you would want to be able to drive every day and make everyone envious. :P
      I would love to hear your opinions on what you would do and why.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004 - 11:44:10 AM by HemiDog »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Manual or Power Steering?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004 - 11:46:50 AM »
for a big block street car I would go with power , with the weight of the engine & parking etc  it will be nicer to drive with power , I like the manual better for highway , high speed driving 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004 - 06:49:07 PM »
Power is better over all. The downfall of the manual is when you are driving slow, like trying to park. You better have some biceps ;D

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004 - 07:29:15 PM »

I'd go Power steering in a street car. Manual steering in a Drag car. (Lighter)  ;D
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004 - 09:22:44 PM »
      Thanks a lot for the input!  I was leaning towards power, but needed a little extra push.
      I remember have manual steering in my 69' Mustang when I first got it and it was a bear in the parking lots.  It got even worse when I ditched the school bus steering wheel.  :)

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004 - 10:14:35 AM »
I have manual in my 440 Chally so not to take the power from the wheels.  I don't mind it, but what a PAIN to park!  It's VERY responsive in motion, it's just maneuvering from a stand-still that is difficult.  Even when I restify it, I'll keep it manual, but that's just me.
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004 - 12:55:05 PM »
I love manual tooo ;D

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline SARGE

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004 - 01:49:07 PM »
i think that it is personal prefrance. i like manual, my car is manual but power steering is more of a convience than any thing, just get a close ratio manual box.  ::)

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004 - 06:26:54 PM »
I like the manual in the E-body , but as everyone said , at slow speeds it is a bear.
And the turning radius isn't all that great, so a U-turn can easily morph into a 5 point turn.
 I am thinking of going with a flaming river or Firm Feel  steering box in the future to tighten up the ratio...
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline johnny-d

• Death is certain, Life is not - think about it
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004 - 09:40:46 PM »
I converted my Big Block 71 from power to manaul for the weight improvement; but then again I bench over 300lbs so parking isn't a problem for me . . .

Offline BIG MIKE

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004 - 04:47:53 AM »
if it's a stick (manual trans) you can play with the clutch.. it pops the front up and you can turn it easier...

And the turning radius isn't all that great, so a U-turn can easily morph into a 5 point turn.
  you can use the gas pedal to help side the rear around  ;D  ;D..did that a couple of times...

manual seems to help from oversteering the car. and to me a better feel.

but all and all if the lady will drive it put power in..... have you seen the ladys fight with the manual steering  ;D :D ;D :D that is one sight   

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004 - 03:53:01 PM »

but all and all if the lady will drive it put power in..... have you seen the ladys fight with the manual steering  ;D :D ;D :D that is one sight   

Amen brother!  Preach on!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004 - 04:03:29 PM »
 :P  ut ohhhhhh

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004 - 01:23:02 AM »
Hehe, BigMIke , if you can power oversteer an E-body around in the alley behind my Seattle house than you have the missing link to the time-space continuum... :o :)
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004 - 08:37:30 PM »
Hey, I'm a little lady and I have manual steering and do just fine with it.  It took a little getting used to, like remembering to straighten out the wheel before you finish backing up when you are pulling out of a space.  Sure, the 1st few times I drove it my arms ached a little bit the next morning, but I am used to it now.  BTW, if you wife has to go to the grocery store she should leave the mopar at home and take the minivan to park in the parking lot(LOL).  I am sure she will be just fine with whatever you choose.  Personally, I was going to change my 72 Cuda over to power steering but I have decided against it for now.  I kind of like the manual now that I have the hang of it (and some bigger muscles).