Author Topic: Sticking brakes  (Read 662 times)

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
Sticking brakes
« on: June 14, 2009 - 03:47:08 PM »
So after putting new shoes, cylinders, master cylinder, removing and cleaning prop valves, blowing out the lines, reaming the rear hose out and tons of bleeding of said brakes, the dang thing still wont release for a second after releasing the pedal and it feels like all four drums are hanging up when rolling.  :swear: :banghead:
The brake hardware is all in good shape, springs, holders, adjusters and all that, what really p**ses me off is that I have never had any trouble with these brakes, especially since everything is basically new

Any thoughts? BTW it is a 70 Challenger with 4 wheel manual drums
Thanks in advance

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Sticking brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009 - 04:07:34 PM »
Are you sure you got the right master cylinder?  Sounds like there is a blockage of some sort.  Are all 4 wheels holding on?  Just wonder if the propotioning valve has something stuck in it or it is not going back to center.  Just some thoughts hope it helps.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009 - 02:45:50 AM »
was the proportioning valve cleaned or replaced , there is residual pressure valves in the master on a drum brake system but that should be normal , unless they are not releasing

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009 - 08:55:45 AM »
Have you adjusted the brakes?... I have new shoes etc. on the rear of a non-drivable car & found when moving the shoes were hanging, they needed to be adjusted tighter.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009 - 08:00:33 PM »
I only hosed out the prop valves with brake cleaner, so no, not replaced. Do they go bad?
As for adjusting the brakes, when I put the drums back on, there was the normal amound of light rub, and not needing adjustment one way or the other. A perfect fit in other words.

The last and final thing will be new brake hoses and if that doesn't do it, I'm selling the dang thing :roflsmiley:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009 - 08:25:11 PM »
Do all that & just before you sell it run those adjusters out to where you feel some drag when turning the tire,  then back off a couple of notches...see what that does for ya.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!