Author Topic: Any one use sliders instead of shackles?  (Read 548 times)

Offline AZDAN

Any one use sliders instead of shackles?
« on: June 14, 2009 - 10:08:16 PM »
 Has anyone here used sliders instead of the rear shackles? How did you mount the sliders? Pictures would be great. Thanks, Dan

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Any one use sliders instead of shackles?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009 - 11:06:41 PM »
Never on a street car, but i have used them on dedicated track cars. There are two types, ones with nylon blocks and ones with bearings. I used the bearings ones. They should be inspected regularly, so I don't know how well they hold up to a street car that may see inclement weather.

Alignment during install is critical to prevent binding, so on an E body that would mean making sure they line up with the spring and not the frame. E body springs are not parallel to the frame. You also want them in a plane from spring eye to spring eye, and not necessarily flat on the frame rail either.

When I used them it was on a chevy. After taking all teh measurements, checking alignment and making some templates, we made a mounting plate that was welded to the frame, then the slider was bolted to the plate. Sorry, not many pictures from that era in my album.

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
Re: Any one use sliders instead of shackles?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009 - 10:18:16 PM »
I thought about them for my car, but decided against because of the bearings and or nylon sliders and the constant road dirt thrown up there.
Racetracks are a lot cleaner from what I have seen.
Jackson from Toronto.