Author Topic: Cdn. Cuda Resto  (Read 49669 times)

Offline Canadian Cuda

Re: Cdn. Cuda Resto
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2010 - 05:42:01 PM »
well i didnt get near as much done as i wanted yesterday, mostly thanks to the rental welder pooping out on me. i manged to close in the driver side cowl and it's now ready for the inner fender to be attached. pass side didnt get much attention since i didnt have the patches made. luckily i talked to my neighbour who has a mig and said i could borrow it any time :biggrin: this was the first time i ever used flux core and most likly the last, especially for body work. it just got too hot even on the lowest setting and itmade a mess. but they are strong. just a little wavy, nothing to complain about considering there wasnt any thing before. also made sure i sealed the crap out of the areas that rusted, just so i dont have to do it again

firewall match in and duct lip tacked in

seam sealed, i didnt realize i did the welds but i guess i did :crazy:

tacked in

all done except edge
Geoff
70 Cuda 440-4, auto, 8 3/4 sure-grip

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2010 - 02:44:23 AM »
 I switched gears today and switched to the back end since all the valence is off and such.first i pulled out the remains of the old exhaust.then i cleaned up the rear as best i could rolled on some rust bullet then hit it with some semi-gloss  cleaned and cleared the brake lines and added the markings.  i know the internals are good as my dad put 3.91 gears, new bearings and such before. i may put the original 3.23 gears back in later but we'll see . looks much better now :bigshades:

before un masking lines, and removal of the paint run
Geoff

Offline challngd73

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2010 - 02:52:48 AM »
very nice

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2010 - 10:30:58 AM »
Looking good man!  Keep it coming along.  I loving the combo!

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2010 - 02:56:15 PM »
Very nice project :thumbsup: Inspires me to continue with my own project.

Per
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010 - 05:18:37 AM »
Well my neighbour being the good guy he is let me borrow his welder for a few days, and i got back into it. i've now finished bracing and welding the driver side, now i'm onto the pass. cut out the last of the bad rust and made patches. also started making the large cowl patch. unfortunatly the only guy i know with a bead roller is on vacation so i'm making the drain myself. It's come out pretty good so far, just a piece of rod in a vice and a hammer. hopefully by the end of the week i can get all my body work done on the welds and maybe even primed :working:

Geoff

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010 - 05:31:45 PM »
Awesome job, Geoff! :thumbsup: Hope you get your welder situation resolved. Thanks for the pictures!
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2010 - 09:14:42 PM »
Well i can now say there is no rust holes on my car! :grinno: after having the car for a year i finally got the holes patched. now i can do the fun stuff :cooldancing: after the bondo :bricks1: i finished welding up the pass. cowl which took way longer than it should, mostly because of the thin cowl. seemed for every tack weld i had a about 3 burn throughs. either way it got done, and it wasn't even wavy. then i put all the braces in, and welded 'em up. i also got the two nuts that hold the rad in. today i grinded everything and put on my first coat of filler. I'm really excited to continue to work on it, i can put my interior, back in and get the engine bay painted :bigsmile:

Geoff

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2010 - 03:28:37 AM »
great to see you keep on going  :2thumbs:   there are so many projects out there stranded when pulled apart... you will have it back on the road soon enough to still be a young gun with an awesome rare ride, build on your own...   not much around that can beat that feeling.  :grinno:    hats off to you mate, great job  :ylsuper:
*** Bart ***

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2010 - 04:51:28 PM »
well i've made more progress.cant wait to be done body work :faint: got all my filler really close, epoxied and primed. i just have a few spots to putty, and then it will all need to be sanded for topcoat. I know i'm being to @nal about the whole thing as i'll prob not see most of these spots when everything is in but oh well :dunno: maybe i'll have it painted by next weekend. i'm almost done covering my whole garage in plastic. the toughest part is going to be masking of the door jambs, it's a big hole to cover.

thanks for all the comments :bigsmile:

Geoff

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2010 - 06:20:46 PM »
Looks very nice, Great work!!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Canadian Cuda

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2010 - 05:03:24 AM »
Well its finally done :woo: got my jambs and engine bay all painted! was a bit of an ordeal but got I it done. first i sanded it all down with 400 grit then 600 grit :eek4: which took forever, then finished masking and sprayed. i'm also proud to say no over spray in the car :icon16: i thinned the paint too much at the start and got a couple runs right in the driver side jamb so i will always see it. added more paint and hardener to the mix and came out much better. no problems after that other than getting over spray on my arms so they look like big cheezies. i do have acouple spots that looked like they got a thin 3rd coat so they're not quite as shiny but heck there'll be a big old 440 in there, no one will notice. except my dad >:(

anyways i'll try and get some pics of it out in the sunlight in the next few days but who know's if there will be any considering we had a snow storm tonight :swear:

Geoff

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2010 - 10:31:26 AM »
Wow moving right along! Good for you! :clapping: Great Job! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline sadil340

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2010 - 10:48:53 AM »
Amazing - means so much more doing it yourself than having a body shop do it all for you :clapping:

Regarding the rear gears - do you have 14" or 15" wheels? If 15" you might want to consider 3:55's instead of going back to the 3:23's. They're fun like the 3:91's but you have reasonable RPM's on long highway cruises.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2010 - 11:05:38 AM »
 :2thumbs: Looking great! I'm envious!  :woohoo:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0