Has anyone made their twin scoop hood into a functional colder air system ?

Author Topic: Has anyone made their twin scoop hood into a functional colder air system ?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline 74MOPAR

I'm not sure about the amount of airflow that close to the hoodline but it has to be an improvement right ?

I just mean pulling out the scoop inserts, not cutting out a blower hole, or a big pro-stock looking piece.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
I assume you're talking about the dual snorkel hood.  I don't think pulling out the inserts will make any difference or very little with air flow!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
That won't work

There are two layers of metal behind the insert that would have to be cut out before
you could let air in

most folks drill holes to do this and it makes a mess of everything :P
The best thing to do in my opinion is to go with a 'glass hood

The weight savings is enormous and you can cut a little more on the top and bottom
of the holes to let more air in

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
I have done it , you need to cut the metal behind the scoops out & remove the blockage in the scoops , bu tit should have been done at the factory

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
I think if you decide to do that, it would look better if you used a mesh screen instead of just having open holes.  My opinion anyways!  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Offline 74MOPAR

There seems to be 7 or 8 speednuts [?]  on the underside of the hood to maybe take out the whole insert, not just the plastic ribbed piece  ?

Inside of my hood has been repainted-I think- so I can't tell if there is a breakline that would allow the whole insert to pop out, but why else would the nuts be there ?
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
I wish I saved the pictures, but there was a hood made functional on eBay about a month ago. The guy did some extensive work to make the hood into the equivelent of the ramcharger style hoods on the Super Bee. The scoops were opened, the bottom side was sealed off with sheet metal at the bracing, & a seal made to fit the air cleaner assemby. It didn't have a factory look, but more of a race car modification appearance. Personally, I don't know if I would go through all that work, but it was interesting to see the finished product. I think the starting bid was $500 to $600 but never had any at all.

Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline 74MOPAR

Yikes, figure labor at $25/hr + the original hood + parts , and the guy couldn't have made much money even @ $500.
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
From everthing I`ve read you are correct about the boundary layer of air and the scoops probably aren`t tall  enough to get in much air.Even a little  air will help and it might let out some underhood heat at stoplights.But I doubt you`ll notice a big difference for all the work.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
There seems to be 7 or 8 speednuts [?]  on the underside of the hood to maybe take out the whole insert, not just the plastic ribbed piece  ?

Yep you got it.  Remove those speed nuts and the whole insert is removable.  Usually there is a thin gasket under it that after time is alittle brittle.  And those ribbed pieces that are in the scoops . . . I think they're metal, or at least mine are!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004 - 01:09:39 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
My lift-off 'glass hood does not have any inserts, and are just holes into the engine bay.  it's actually quite cool. No pun intended.
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
I took out my R/T hood inserts, Then i drilled out the pop riverts that hold in the piece that looks kind of like a piece of angle iron. Now the scoops still look orgional but the air flows straight through them without hitting that wall that was there.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
the "angle iron" is a drip rail to separate water & drain off to the side 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline vert

• Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis!
Check out this link.  Its the proper way to do it.

http://471jim.moparpages.com/id8.html
71 Barracuda | Hemi idling | Hemi Dyno pull

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Check out this link.  Its the proper way to do it.

http://471jim.moparpages.com/id8.html

That may very well be the hood that was on eBay. It was definitely a blue hood, & he used the silver sheet metal (aluminum maybe) to duct the airflow.
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.