Author Topic: sticking clutch  (Read 2280 times)

sleepychallenger

Re: sticking clutch
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009 - 11:49:55 AM »
i checked the motor mount and it is good to go, i will try to adjust it probably tomorrow during lunch, and how do i check the pilot shaft?

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009 - 06:56:08 AM »
i checked the motor mount and it is good to go, i will try to adjust it probably tomorrow during lunch, and how do i check the pilot shaft?

Looks like one for Neil.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009 - 08:50:47 AM »
well, i got some good news, and some bad news. i adjusted the shifter linkage and now i finally have all four gears.  :woohoo: i think the 2 gear syncro is bad though  :walkaway: . i adjusted the clutch and it still seems to slip a little if i hammer on it, havent really tried hammering through the shifts though. i will have to do that and see if the clutch pedal comes back up.  :working: making progress though  :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009 - 12:11:41 PM »
not something I have encountered so far , you can disasemble the adjuster & see if any of the linkage is binding though , why do you think 2nd gear syncro is bad , is it grinding into gear or popping out of gear ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

sleepychallenger

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009 - 03:40:44 PM »
not something I have encountered so far , you can disasemble the adjuster & see if any of the linkage is binding though , why do you think 2nd gear syncro is bad , is it grinding into gear or popping out of gear ?
it grinds into second and sometimes does not go into that gear the first time shifting. it popped out once but that was it.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009 - 07:15:06 PM »
I remember that when my clutch started sticking, I tried to fix it (being young and dumb) by putting a huge spring between the clutch pedal and the dash frame. I had to use all my strength to push it down. It helped quite a bit, but the clutch continued to slip some until I took it to a garage that belonged to a friend of my fathers. They told me about the pilot shaft having too much play, but I dont think they told me how they fixed it, and my father said he'd take care of the bill, so I dont know how much it cost.

All I know, is that because of me driving around for a whole year with the gorilla spring on my clutch pedal, my left leg is still bigger than my right leg, and its been almost 40 years - lol.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009 - 09:07:48 PM »
Drew, when you had that bad shifter installed in your car, I remember you trying to make it shift and it ground alot in different gears as you were adjusting things that were out of whack. You may have damaged some internal parts from taking off in 2nd 3rd  and grinding when trying to get into second. A kit is cheap, you may need one. In the very begining it was going into gears and no noises and all checked good. Wish I could help you rebuild it, but Gary is gonna assitt me with my first time so I can recognize bad parts...IE...changin gears member

sleepychallenger

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009 - 06:37:36 PM »
not a problem. i drove downtown last night and really hammered through the gears and there was no grinding or anything. not sure why or if there was anything different about the situation but it did well, still have a bit of a slipping clutch but not a lot. i think some more adjustments and i should be there. i am going to keep my fingers crossed. i also know that i am going to need a reseal kit since i am leaking out of the o rings that we replaced on yours Alan. when i do that i will check out what the insides look like.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009 - 07:35:01 PM »
did you use a new flywheel? an old one might cause the slipping if it has some heat cracks,,also the pilot bushing,,it can cause some of these problems,,when i converted mine i kept the one in the back of the crank and put one on that is like a bearing that slides over the shaft of the tranny and slides in to the area on the back of the crank when installed,,seems to work well
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

sleepychallenger

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009 - 09:55:27 AM »
i did use a new flywheel. we made some adjustments this weekend and the slipping problem went away along with the clutch staying down when i shift at high rpms, now if i could not blow up u joints i would be ok.