Author Topic: silly question about alignments  (Read 760 times)

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
silly question about alignments
« on: June 25, 2009 - 09:41:08 PM »
OK, doing a complete front end rebuild before the trip to Carlisle, and if I knew the half of it I would have done it much sooner. The lower control arm bushing was non existent for 1. On the drivers side no rubber was left at all.

So to the point, I'm kind of particular about who touches my car, and the thought of taking it up to the garage and letting a "stranger" get in my car kind of freaks me out ( weird, I know ).

Is it not a good idea to think I can align the car myself in my own driveway, I'm thinking no but I figured if there was a way, you guys would know.

Thanks.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: silly question about alignments
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009 - 10:08:18 PM »
You could probably get it close with a big carpenter's square and a tape measure, but you'll need a "pro" to dial it in.

Should be a relatively easy job on a newer machine that uses the tires for alignment instead of the spindle centers and with new, shiny nuts to loosen, the shop will love you.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009 - 11:07:10 PM »
Just ask if you can stay with the guy that does it and he will more than likely be that much more careful with you standing there. Be friendly and give him some space and most likely he won't resent you being there on top of him. Don't actually get on top of him though. He might not appreciate that.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 - 12:51:29 AM »
I found a couple of DIY websites, the one I bookmarked is gone now, & spent most of a day doing it just to be able to drive a little. Basically a few tools you can make yourself will get you close but I would not plan on an extended trip.. Find a shop that does nothing but frame & front end work.. the average tire shop employs mostly stooges..
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009 - 01:19:34 AM »
I set up all of my own ,
I set up my friends Coronet & he still has the molding nubs on the tread after 1200 miles , I think I got it close enough  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 - 01:37:31 AM »
I too would like to know how to get it close, I have the toe set great, but I need to set the camber/ caster on both sides.
Do I need to have the vehicle off the ground, or just sitting level?
If it is sitting, will it break my arm trying to adjust the eccentric bolt?
Am I looking for the tire to be level while using a framing square, or in/ out slightly?
Thanks for the help :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 - 01:50:30 AM »
I start with the front adjuster all the way out & the rear all the way in on both sides , ride height set where you like it & the car driven to settle the suspension then put a level across the tire , it should read in & the top slightly but you have to take into consideration the bulge at the bottom of the tire as well , you want the tire virtually vertical [1/2*] in at the top & 1/16" - 1/8" of toe in , more toe with wider tires less with skinnys

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t