Author Topic: RT hood graphic tips 'n tricks  (Read 649 times)

Offline thedeputy

RT hood graphic tips 'n tricks
« on: June 26, 2009 - 04:15:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of installing the hood black out sticker on my 70 challenger. I allready screwed up one, and I don't want to do that again, so I'm looking for some tips and tricks on how to put it on the hood without air bubbels or creases.
I ordered a hood black out sticker from phoenix graphics.

Thanks,

Antoon

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: RT hood graphic tips 'n tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 - 05:33:52 PM »
I'm not sure how you messed up the first time, but this is definitely a two man job. One teaspoon of Dawn diswashing liquid per gallon of water is a great mixture. Do this in the shade, preferably when it's 50-70*F. Apply plenty of soapy liquid to both the decal and the hood. You should have a couple of minutes to maneuver things around before it starts to stick. Once you have it where you want it, then bring out the squeegy, and work from the middle out. Good luck with it.    :ylsuper:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 - 05:35:38 PM »
My trick - Paint it on....   :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Seriously though, use plenty of soapy water (h2o, a few drops of dish soap, + a capful of rubbing alcohol works great) and take your time.  Make sure the hood is clean and dry before you start.  Only work on 1/2 a at time by "hinging" it using a strip of 2" masking tape but be careful to not get the backing paper wet or you will be sorry.  Work the bubbles from the center outward.  when you think you've gotten them all, do it some more because you did not.  When you are ready to remove the transfer tape, peel it back directly against the hood. DO NOT PEEL UP!  Peel BACK.  Don't stress if there are some small bubbles - they will evaporate out once the car is in the sun for a while.

Good luck   :cheers:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline thedeputy

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009 - 05:19:21 AM »
Apperantly I didn't use enough soapy water. The sticker I ordered now has some sort of special gel for applying the sticker. Any experience with that.
When you say do one half first, should I fold it in half from left to right, or from front to rear. ???
I'm thinking of starting from the middle of the hood and working backwards.
Is it best to peel of the backing tape, putting it on the hood and start working out the bubbles as soon as applying the sticker, or should I peel of the backing tape, then placing the rear half of the sticker on the hood completely, and then work out the bubbles. ???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Antoon

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009 - 08:28:22 AM »
I've never used the gel - to me it is a waste of $$ when soapy water does the trick and costs next to nothing. I prefer to work front to back but you can do it either way.  You really should start working the bubbles out as soon as you apply a section.  Otherwise it could get too sticky and you'll end up with bubbles. 

BTW - I used to apply graphics for a living, so I've had a little bit of experience...
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT