Author Topic: How much clearance between torsion bars and tie rods?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: How much clearance between torsion bars and tie rods?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009 - 07:41:25 PM »
It looks like he has a 187 pan, which 440 source shows is for a C body, maybe that could be aggravating the problem?
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009 - 08:22:39 PM »
Yes, it's a 187 pan from a C body.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009 - 10:41:55 AM by 6packCuda »
Dave

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009 - 08:24:28 PM »
I'd take a look at your pitman arm.  Seems like the angle of the tie rod is too severe.  If the pitman arm is wrong, not enough bend, it will bring the whole assembly up.

Can you get a better pic up just the pitman arm / tie rod area?

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009 - 08:31:50 PM »
I'll get the car up on jack stands tomorrow so I can get some better pic.s
Dave

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009 - 08:35:48 PM »
Is it just me or does it look like more threads than normal showing under the nut holding the pitman arm to the gear box?  It looks like the arm is higher than normal on the splines, pulling it up.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Aracer

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009 - 01:57:59 AM »
YUPP looks bad, one thing is try the hemi 6 qt. pan for normality. The pitman, idler, centerlink look like the wrong parts for the E body that's why they're so short. Maybe they came off the c body too.
Is it just me or does it look like more threads than normal showing under the nut holding the pitman arm to the gear box?  It looks like the arm is higher than normal on the splines, pulling it up.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009 - 02:18:25 AM »
Something simple to try might be to take out the two motor mount bolts, jack the engine up so the pan is off the center link and check clearance through the range of motion on the steering linkage. From the wear marks on the pan, it is hitting at some point. It may not be the only problem but it would be nice to see if the clearance changes/improves.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009 - 08:09:39 AM »
Hitting the pan is a problem, but is only a sympton, not the cause, for the difference in pitman/idler location.

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009 - 08:41:57 AM »
Could I just put a longer pitman arm on it? The center link slopes up to the pitman arm from the idler arm. Wouldn't a longer pitman arm level things out and give me some clearance?
Dave

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009 - 11:43:04 AM »
Could I just put a longer pitman arm on it? The center link slopes up to the pitman arm from the idler arm. Wouldn't a longer pitman arm level things out and give me some clearance?
whoa, you didn't mention that before (the center link slope) if there is a part number on your pitman, post it and maybe we can figure out what the deal is. 

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009 - 02:47:20 PM »
Yea the center link is about 1/2" lower on the passenger side than on the driver side. The casting # on the pitman arm is extremely hard to make out, but this is what I came up with...

Pitman Arm - 3587 M1305 (not sure if that is exactly right)
Center Link - DF82
Idler Arm    - M040 4 9
Dave

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009 - 06:43:56 PM »

I think you mean shorter. Your pitman looks like it may be longer than the idler. Yes, a long arm will bring it closer to the torsion bar. Easy check is to take the center link off the pitman and move the center link back the extra inch or so of length the pitman adds and see if that changes up the difference you are seeing. BTW, the longer pitman is the fast ratio style. Old bucks down trick to get this effect is to use a C body pitman. If you had a matching fast ratio idler, you may also seem the same issue on the passenger side to match.

Something I can't tell by the pictures you have is the relative height of the drivers side tie rod end to the height of the pitman arm. The grease cover on the tie rod does not look compressed at all.

But, what problem are we trying to solve here? I thought it was getting the tie rod end to back off hitting the t-bar. We're now talking about changing oil pans, changing pitmans, and even moving the center link.

Offline 6packCuda

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009 - 07:21:24 PM »
How would a shorter pitman arm give me more clearance? Wouldn't a longer arm lower the center link? That's what I want. I would try to get some better pic.s but my camera decided to take a sh!t on me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009 - 07:27:12 PM by 6packCuda »
Dave

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009 - 09:18:55 PM »
I also remember 4-Cruising had some issues with headers on the passenger side which TTi had a fix for involving re-configuring the motor mounts.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009 - 10:01:33 PM »
 :pullinghair:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!