Author Topic: Rear valence cuda fitment issues  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Rear valence cuda fitment issues
« on: July 01, 2009 - 11:23:27 AM »
The repop rear valence on my car in on and sure doesn't look that good compared to OEM ones I've seen. Does anyone else notice that their seams where they meet seem pretty bad? Any pics?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Rear valence cuda fitment issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009 - 11:38:23 AM »
Here's my OE Challey... no damage, pretty bad fit.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009 - 12:09:58 PM »
I installed repop rear valances on both my cudas and both fit just fine.  :dunno: I'll try and look to see if I have any pics tonight.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline nick68

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009 - 04:23:40 PM »
On my challenger I have a repop valance, the fit needed some massaging to fit.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009 - 06:26:02 PM »
This week end I'll get a pic and show all what I am seeing on fitment issue on mine.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009 - 08:03:22 PM »
On my challenger I have a repop valance, the fit needed some massaging to fit.

Got any pics?  My didn't line up at all.  Not sure if it's the valance or my qtrs.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009 - 08:25:22 PM »
What I'm thinking now is when you use re pop quarters and then put on a re pop rear valence, the fit comes out looking sloppy on the seam.

I recall the passenger side fitment seemed a lot better than the driver side which is the replaced quarter panel.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline nick68

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009 - 11:50:11 AM »
I had to attach a come-along winch to the quarter panel wheel well and pull it out to make the "hole" large enough to get the rear valance to fit in. The body lines lined up though.  I will see if i can take a picture tonite to show what I am talking about if anybody needs it.

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009 - 08:35:02 PM »
I have the old style skins for lower quarters and a reproduction rear valance.  When I first put the rear valance on, the fit was bad... 

I worked the high and low places on both the quarters and the valance with a hammer and dolly.  The fit ended up great.  No complaints now and I am glad that these parts are available.

I suspect that my problem was the low quality quarterr skins that I used.  I am glad that I installed them below the body line on each side.    I kept the orginal lines from the OEM quarter.  I do wish that I had known they were going to make the full OEM style quarter panels.  This seems like the only way to go.

Daniel
www.ebodyproducts.com
dj1965@ebodyproducts.com

Offline nick68

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 - 01:25:01 PM »
Heres what I did to pull out the lower quarter to make the valance fit. The space between the lower quarters was too narrow. This comes from not bolting in the valance before I welded the quarter in. DOH, never again weld in anything without everything bolted in.  I welded in the cross member extension while the quarter was streched out and it held its shape ! I was too tired last nite to re-fit the valance , but i will today and take pics.

wagesofsin

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009 - 06:14:31 PM »
Heres what I did to pull out the lower quarter to make the valance fit. The space between the lower quarters was too narrow. This comes from not bolting in the valance before I welded the quarter in. DOH, never again weld in anything without everything bolted in.  I welded in the cross member extension while the quarter was streched out and it held its shape ! I was too tired last nite to re-fit the valance , but i will today and take pics.

:eek2:

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009 - 07:22:51 PM »
some fit good , some fit poor, the ones that fit really bad are the cars that got quarters halfs or full put on and they did NOT mock up with the valance Before welding, common question to common problem.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009 - 10:27:47 PM »
Here's the pics on my rear valence. The main thing I notice is that it tends to have more curve than the quarter panels making it stick out a little on the edges instead of being flush. At the bottom, the gaps tend to widen also.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009 - 10:57:00 PM »
TC, I've got exactly the same issues with the RH patch panel... I spent many hours hammering to move the top to the right & the bottom to the left, & while this picture does not show it that mismatch curve is there & I never could get it to change much.   There is still a small adjustment I need to make to the upper tab where they attach but once I smooth over with some filler I don't think anyone could tell it from the OE left side unless they lay on the ground.

As a matter of fact if mine looked that good to start with I would not have spent all the time I did.  Frustrating   :pullinghair:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 - 11:00:17 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!