70 Challenger Restore Cost

Author Topic: 70 Challenger Restore Cost  (Read 11022 times)

Offline Rooster

• 440 Magnum
70 Challenger Restore Cost
« on: July 02, 2009 - 10:00:11 PM »
I’d hate to ask such a Noob question, but my 70 Challenger is in bad sorts, and will need a lot of work to save it.  I was thinking I could try and do most of it to help save on money, but after reading through some of the restore threads (especially the thread of Silverchally) I am completely and utterly intimidated.  I can handle the motor and drivetrain but I have never done any type of body work.

I was wondering if anyone could ballpark how much I could expect to spend to have someone do the work for me, if so here is my laymen assumption of the work required:

Repro fenders (ds & ps)
Repro Inner Fenders (ds & ps)
Repro floor pan (full I think)
Repro Trunk Pan
Repro Quarter Panels (ds & ps)
New passenger door
Possible frame straightening
Repair hood and deck lid

Wow after listing everything, it doesn't seem there is much left to the car  :(

I really would love to save this beauty, but she might be beyond the point of no return.

Any insight you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Its's not how fast you go....its how fast you get there!

Offline 71ChallengerSE

Re: 70 Challenger Restore Cost
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009 - 10:08:04 PM »
Post up some pictures to give us a better idea

:useless:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009 - 10:08:53 PM »
I'm no resto expert by any means, but there's so much more to it! One thing leads to the next (trust BIGS on this one) Lets say your gonna do the trunk floor.. ok? So hows the gas tank?? the straps?? The tank braces?? tunk mat?? If shes a run/drive car, I'd suggest structural stuff first. As your budget allows. If its not a driver I'd still do structural first, and don't sweat things like the new trunk mat for awhile.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 - 10:25:41 PM »
  I was thinking I could try and do most of it to help save on money, but after reading through some of the restore threads (especially the thread of Silverchally) I am completely and utterly intimidated.  I can handle the motor and drivetrain but I have never done any type of body work.
Repro fenders (ds & ps)
Repro Inner Fenders (ds & ps)
Repro Trunk Pan
Repro Quarter Panels (ds & ps)

Possible frame straightening
Repair hood and deck lid

Any insight you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
Rich

Alot of us here have no prior experience in welding or body work. But determination and continual quest to see and learn how it's done always pays off.

I remember when I first opened up my new mig welder when it showed up. And I thought to myself "what the hell am I going to do with this thing?" After a few months of practice then trial and a few errors I was starting to get the hang of it. I guarantee you will too. and whenever you feel stuck on anything...there's a lot of knowledgable members here to give you recommendations. Just GO for it! You'll get there!
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009 - 06:00:22 AM »
My husband restores cars and he looked at your list and said to restore that car your looking prob between 30-45k to do a full resto.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009 - 10:21:51 AM »
 I would have to say that without pics, it's hard to estimate a resto.
I don't think it would be 30-45k, but who knows.
I think you should tackle the big stuff first. You can always find a decent parts car to yank stuff off for less. In fact I recommend it in this case. Get yourself a good southwest car and go to town.
If you post pics, you can probably get some good tips as to a priority list.
We can all help with the how.
Heck, I still don't know what I'm doing.. But I have a really straight shell that I need to start hangin parts on...just don't know some of the details.
Best,
Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009 - 11:50:28 AM »
After doing my car I would say base on  80- 90 dollars a hour shop time you are looking at 20 to 25K just in body and paint work.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009 - 12:02:52 PM »
Just for metal work you are looking at 15-20k, then you still have your finish body work and paint which could run another 5-10k. But we really need to see pictures of the damage before we can give a real estimate on cost.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Rooster

• 440 Magnum
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009 - 01:15:32 AM »
I appreciate all the blind estimates  :eek2: ....and no offense but I hope you are all wrong :money:

Just kidding...I really do thank you, and even though I don’t want to admit it, I think your are all probably very close (ssshhh no one tell my wife, otherwise its  :stomp:)

Here are some pics to give you a better estimate (I apologize in advance for crashing your browsers):

Hood – mainly surface rust, I think it needs a good sanding and some bondo and its good

Passenger Inner Fender – the top part has some deep rust, but the rest looks ok

Driver’s Inner Fender – same as the Passenger Inner Fender, deep rust on top

Driver’s side - the door doesn’t look bad at all

Driver’s Fender – Looks pretty good except for the part right behind the wheel well (might be savable)

Driver’s Quarter (under by the rear window) – its rusted through

Driver’s Quarter (infront of wheel well) – looks like deep rust, but I guess it could be patched

Driver’s Quarter (wheel well) – it s has some rust, looks perforated in some places

Driver’s Quarter (Behind the wheel well) – its rusted through by the bumper

Rear – the deck lid has surface rust like the hood, but the rear valance is distorted from the wreck

Truck Pan (Passenger side) – its rusted through in one part, but the rest of the truck is pretty thin.

The following images are rated “R” and should not by viewed by minors unless they are accompanied by an adult!!!

Passenger Quarter behind wheel well – mangled

Passenger Quarter in front of wheel well – probably couldn’t tell unless I told you..unsavable

Passenger Quarter inside the wheel well – bent back so far it slashed the tire

Passenger Quarter and Door – I don’t have the words…I am assuming a total loss here

Passenger Fender – the rest is OK except for the this part by the front…penetrating rust

After looking at it again it seems I may be able to revise my list to remove some of the repro parts, but I am not sure of the cost savings if the original parts require extensive work to save.  I haven’t pulled the carpet back yet, the only floor pan I know that is bad is the drivers side (there is no metal under the pedals), but I assumed worst-case for the rest.  I am pretty sure the Trunk pan will need replacement.  At this point I am assuming:

Patch  Fender (ds)
Repro Fender (ps)
Repair Inner Fenders (ds & ps)
Repro Trunk Pan
Patch Quarter Panel- Extensive (ds)
Repro Quarter Panels (ps)
New passenger door
Possible frame straightening – doesn’t look so bad now the tires are aired up equally
Repair hood and deck lid
Its's not how fast you go....its how fast you get there!

Offline wiging19

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009 - 01:29:02 AM »
Nice car. My car had alot of the same problems although the front end and hood was in better shape than your car.  Try to do it in phases and I agree that make sure the structural things are taken care of first.  In my case I jsut started buying the parts I knew I needed and slowly go everything needed.  Then I saved money for the actual body work and painting.  I had all the body parts and the prices seem reasonable given my experience. :violin:

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009 - 09:52:47 AM »
That will be an awsome car when done. Be sure the vin is correct for what appears to be a 70 r/t car. If so, then it will be worth investing into it. You probably will find some shop to quote a price that you will like - lets say that is 10-15K. But once they open it up and find ALL the rust, that quote will go up to where it has been estimated above - to 25K.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009 - 09:57:54 AM »
She looks like a driver! And a ride you can do a little at a time and as time and $$ allow. Is it a real R/T??
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009 - 10:29:02 AM »
I would strip the whole car have it blasted then you will know what you are getting into. Find a body shop or a good bodyman that does work on the side.Do this in stages and it will save you time and money.I did it this way and in 2 years the car painted and now  3 months later the car 70 percent back together with every part either new or restored.Doing it this way will force you to do it right.

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:12:49 PM »
Definately a savable car....
Steel work alone will run you between $15k and $20k with parts
Body work would be about another $8K to 15K depending on how perfect you would want it.
fishn
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:19:42 PM »
She looks like a driver! And a ride you can do a little at a time and as time and $$ allow. Is it a real R/T??

Looks very cool!  Fix it as you drive it! 

Is that the original color and bumble bee stripe?  :clueless:  Cool!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger