Author Topic: I got bad Cuda news today...  (Read 4774 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: I got bad Cuda news today...
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:22:52 AM »
Like said before, grad a screwdriver and start stabbing the front frame rails, if it goes through anywhere, you have a problem. If it just feels solid get it inspected again. For a little rust spot above the wheel just paint the rust white, i think the law is just no visible rust.

The law in PA does not care about visible rust. It cares about "Rust-through" in the passenger compartment which can allow dangerous fumes into the vehicle. Simple repair with some bondo and primer and at least that would no longer prevent inspection.

As far as the frame rails, did they show you what they were talking about? Is it a small soft spot, or is the whole frame rail bad? Are there large areas of rust-through, a couple of pinholes, or actual soft spots that can be pushed in with your hand? Sometimes there is a soft spot on the bottom, but the sides and top are solid, so you can just have a plate welded across the bad part. Maybe you can take some quick pics and post them here.

I would agree with the antique tags only if the frame rails are solid, otherwise you would just be taking your life into your hands, especially if you were involved in a front end collision.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009 - 11:38:27 AM »
Don't get rid of her.  It obviously has sentimental value to you and your wife.  as far ass the frame rust goes, it depends on what you want in the end.  If you just want to make it safe and driveable, go the AutoRust Technicians route.  It is an easy affordable way to firm up your structure.  Just make sure to treat the rust before you put the cap on it.  If, on the other hand, you want to restore it, you need to get a replacement rail and that installation is more tricky (read that expensive).
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:22:21 PM »
I don't think I'd "cap" it. Id fix it the right way. But i agree that we need to investigate more.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009 - 01:23:58 PM »
Do you know somebody with a dealer tag or transporter tag that you could borrow? You could bring it to the show and have all us "experts" take a look at those "soft rails". Trailer? Was this "mechanic" trying to buy the car from you?

dealer says its a felony to be in possesion of a dealer tag and no logs on car .its a legal licence plate this is not an opinion i have a p# and my tags are always on file for inspection . if you look close at the tags they have a state logo even on paper tags .what this means is you have stolen the state seal that trumps the actual tag laws ,always play straight up and legal .
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009 - 09:47:11 PM »
I like MEK's suggestion.  I happen to know that the "little girl" he spoke of is looking to buy as we speak! And she told me she is willing to double the offer... lol!  Seriously, don't get rid of it. You will regret it.  Anything can be fixed. Remember the clowns project?

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009 - 10:35:47 PM »
That sucks!!! Here in the state of North Carolina there is no annual inspections at all for cars over 25 years and older. I would get an second opinion on those frame rail!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009 - 02:29:46 PM »
Thanks MEK for only giving me a few days with which to plot revenge...  :)

I appreciate the feedback.  I've told my wife I'm only selling it with a signed contract from her permitting me to buy another one later.  :)

Regardless, the 'Cuda is going to Carlisle.  This could possibly be her last year, so I'll be damned if she's going to miss it.  I'm not worrying about the Antique tag (no point in registering the car here for another year when I could be moving in 2 months and have to reregister them elsewhere.  So we're just going to risk it!  (Honestly the price of an expired inspection sticker ticket and the antique tag are nearly the same!)

While it's there you guys might be able to get a look at it.  I know the sides of the frame were soft in the past.  I don't know about poking screw drivers through it, but you could kinda "squish" it with your fingers.  But I worked at the inspection station - in fact, I MANAGED it.  Therefore, my cars passed - ya know?

I'd want to fix it and fix it right, or sell it to someone who can.  I mean, with my line of work (assuming I can get back to it quickly) I don't think a better 'Cuda will ever be too far from reach.  I just know how my attention span is, and I fear of starting a project that I'll most likely never finish.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009 - 03:15:52 PM »
I'm not sure that's such a wise idea.  If you get pulled over and they run the VIN, it will probably pull up the info on the failed inspection.  I believe your results get entered whether you pass or not.  If that does happen, then it will be impounded and now you're out a grand or more.  If it was me I'd just bite the bullet and take the Viper.  :burnout:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009 - 01:37:55 PM »
Im pretty sure its not far from you to the fairgrounds right?

Id take it, but thats me. You know, if i were you, at least in Maryland. Id go buy an old set of tags on Friday from somebody and then just put them on. My cousin has been riding around in his 1968 SuperBee with unregistered '68 tags.

:lol2: I don't think they pay a whole lot of attention when its an "old" tag, different then historic. I mean from the year your car was built.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009 - 05:55:54 PM »
I don't think every state lets you run the "year of your car" deal. NC does, but the local cops claim it's a felony and dispalying a "fictitious tag", but they apparently never read the DMV book or state statute.

Never lived in PA, so I don't know..........
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009 - 11:19:20 PM »
i think the law is just no visible rust.

For real?  3/4 of the vehicles on the road here in WI would be outlawed.   :roflsmiley:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009 - 01:33:17 AM »
The law is no rust holes.  No openings in the body.  Visible rust does not fail, or the 'Cuda would have NEVER passed!!  :)

A trooper pulling me over would have no record of the failed inspection.  The information is submitted to the state, but no more frequently than at LEAST ever 3 months.  Even then, the information is not recorded digitally or readily available to any officer running a tag check.  They would only be accessed by an investigator if a serious legal issue arose regarding the inspection of a vehicle.

I'm taking the Viper anyways - we're just bringing the 'Cuda on Saturday to surprise our friend.  The $100 ticket will be worth it for as happy as she's going to be.

Jeff

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009 - 01:05:35 AM »

I'm taking the Viper anyways - we're just bringing the 'Cuda on Saturday to surprise our friend.  The $100 ticket will be worth it for as happy as she's going to be.

And what happens if (God forbid), Murphys Law rears its ugly head, and you are involved in an accident with the Cuda? Dont do the crime, if you cant do the time...

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009 - 01:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone and from every different angle.  The simple math had to stand on it's own, however.  Restoring that car to the level I wanted it at would have cost over $50,000 and taken up to 10 years.  With my career (hopefully) going the way it's going, I should be able to plunk down $25-$30 thousand dollars within the next two years and get a car already AT the condition I want one in.  Why put myself through such an incredible challenge when what I want doesn't have to be so far away?

And that's why I sold it this past weekend at Carlisle.  I hear what you're saying G-man - but just as money can always be earned, cars can always be bought.  And jersyt you were right too - the safety risk isn't worth it.  On the same token I was proud to know that my 'Cuda made it onto the fun-field one more time, and even got to sit right next to the club tent.  I got to just sit and look at it almost all day.

I'm confident with my decision in the long run - I did what I had to do.  It'll also make my (hopeful) move to Chicago a little easier with one less car to transport, and of course, leaves an open spot in the garage to be replaced with a better E-body!

Jeff

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009 - 02:26:39 PM »
For what it's worth I think you did the right thing selling, especially if you have a move coming up for your new job.  It's just another thing to worry about, and guaranteed every day you'd be thinking about it sitting there and not being able to do anything about it.  At least now it is off your shoulders, you can do what you need to to get the career going, again, and get a better car when the time is right.