Author Topic: I got bad Cuda news today...  (Read 4781 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
I got bad Cuda news today...
« on: July 03, 2009 - 04:08:35 PM »
To try and make a long story short, my wife and I were going to surprise a 61-year old widow who is a friend of ours here in Harrisburg.  She's actually a big car fan and has been really good to us.  My wife invited her to Carlisle and she was thrilled at the thought of going.  I was going to surprise her by actually having my wife pick her up in my Barracuda.

I had to get the 'Cuda inspected as the inspection lapsed last year.  I didn't bother renewing it at the time because the wipers and washers were inop, and they need to work for inspection.  Well over the past two days I got all that straightened out, so I took it to the shop today for the state safety inspection.

Not good...   :walkaway:

They failed it because the front frame rails have apparently gotten quite soft.  Also there is a rust hole in the rear quarter above the driver's side tire.

What this means is that I basically can't drive the 'Cuda in the State of PA anymore.  Now, MEK mentioned it and the shop actually confirmed that if I get antique tags on it, I'm exempt from the inspections.  But the antique tag costs $100 and I don't think I can get it by next weekend.  Plus, the car really isn't that safe to drive if the frame has gotten that bad.

At this point I just don't know what to do with the car.  It's going to take years and LOTS of money to get to the point that I can disassemble it and make repairs.  It'll take lots MORE money to have someone else fix it, and I don't want to be one of those that has a 'Cuda sitting around in pieces for a decade or longer.

I'm wondering if I should just sell it for whatever I can get for it, wait a year or two for the job market to stabilize, get my wife a new car (she needs one, too) and then just go get a turn-key 'Cuda for $20K or so and be happy.  I don't really want to sell this car - I mean it took us home from our wedding.  But I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and fix it.  I know very little about frame repair.

Thoughts?

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
Re: I got bad Cuda news today...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 - 05:19:10 PM »
That's a really tough call.  If you really like the car, then hang on to it.  I know I wouldn't count on the idea of getting another one later, simply cause something will always come up and stop it from happening.  Whats wrong with letting the car sit for a while.  Yeah it's depressing (it's what I've been doing now for about 12 years), but at least you still have the car. 

Also, what do you mean by the front frame rails getting soft?  And how exactly did the testing place find out.  If there are holes and such you can poke through with a screwdriver, then it is certainly time to take it off the road.  May be talk to or show it to a body shop for a more educated opinion?
{oo/===\oo}

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009 - 05:26:10 PM »
That's a really tough call.  If you really like the car, then hang on to it.  I know I wouldn't count on the idea of getting another one later, simply cause something will always come up and stop it from happening.  Whats wrong with letting the car sit for a while.  Yeah it's depressing (it's what I've been doing now for about 12 years), but at least you still have the car. 

Also, what do you mean by the front frame rails getting soft?  And how exactly did the testing place find out.  If there are holes and such you can poke through with a screwdriver, then it is certainly time to take it off the road.  May be talk to or show it to a body shop for a more educated opinion?

:iagree:

id like to see a pic(s) of the suspect area. replacing a frame rail(s) is not to be undertaken without a certain level of expertise for sure, but it really isnt that hard to do.
i would look for a shop that excells in major collision damage, not maaco.
any car clubs around, those fellas usually have the skinny on who knows what in town.

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009 - 06:22:09 PM »
You might want to talk to these guys at Carlisle for frame repair kits

http://www.autorust.com/index.html

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009 - 06:32:05 PM »
I'd say compare what a repair would cost next to a replacement car minus what ever you can get for yours . I also have a 383 Cuda matching #'s ,all 4 rails, floors, trunk, and quarters are shot . Yet I can't get myself to part with it in the hope of some day finding a rolling chassi . All I know for sure is that it would be a lot easier to sell my parts then to replace them .  :horse:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009 - 07:05:35 PM »
Jeff,
I would definitely get someone that really knows Mopars & is well versed in restoration (especially frame work) and get the straight poop on what's up with the car, what the repairs would cost (factor in what you are able to do yourself) and then after knowing all the facts make a decision on what to do with the Cuda. I definitely would not get rid of it without first knowing all the facts and weighing all the options!! I hope you can keep it. I don't know about PA, but some of the state inspectors here in Virginia are full of it. Some of them don't even know the law. I once had to have an inspector call the state police over an argument I had with him and he was indeed proven wrong!! Good luck!! :bigsmile:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009 - 07:07:34 PM »
every body can be bought .  a   c note should do the trick , or maybe 2 cans of rubberized under coat and some fine dirt will make your ride nafta worthy me thinks.on a serious note i cant believe this car went to crap in just a year sitting ,if this car was safe for the last several years what changed, :bricks1: so try a different inspector .
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009 - 07:09:55 PM »
You might want to talk to these guys at Carlisle for frame repair kits

http://www.autorust.com/index.html

These guys make a lot of stuff for frame repair. Basically, they make caps that fit over your existing frame rails to strengthen them, and make them safe. I believe they just get tack welded on, so it may not be a bad option.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009 - 08:51:45 PM »
Jeff,

I remember a certain little girl trying to buy your Cuda for $1 at Carlisle last year.

Give her a call.   :poopoke:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 - 09:01:39 PM »
I'd definatley keep her even if ya have let it sit a couple years ,like has been mentioned before it'll be hard to get another with everything that tends to come up in life.

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009 - 09:03:38 PM »
I doubt if the inspectors know their A$$ from a hole in the ground...
  Get the $100 antique tag & enjoy the Cuda.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009 - 09:05:57 PM »
If the frame rails are indeed that bad then go the frame rail repair route, keep the Cuda and have fun!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009 - 09:23:20 PM »
Do you know somebody with a dealer tag or transporter tag that you could borrow? You could bring it to the show and have all us "experts" take a look at those "soft rails". Trailer? Was this "mechanic" trying to buy the car from you?
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009 - 11:34:46 PM »
I would put the car in storage for a while and buy the parrts over time and then fix it later.You sell it and might regret it later.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline bordin34

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009 - 11:55:35 PM »
Like said before, grad a screwdriver and start stabbing the front frame rails, if it goes through anywhere, you have a problem. If it just feels solid get it inspected again. For a little rust spot above the wheel just paint the rust white, i think the law is just no visible rust.

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD