Author Topic: I finished PST kit - my thoughts  (Read 2144 times)

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
I finished PST kit - my thoughts
« on: July 03, 2009 - 10:32:27 PM »
Hi all...

As I was researching for a front end re-build here, I realized a lot of people had similar if not the same questions.

1st off, a baseline of my car. I love to drive her, but a lot of times freeway trips were white knuckled due to the "drift" or lack of feel from the steering. I went ahead and replaced the power steering with a stock manual box (the pump leaked like crazy even with new hoses, thought I would get 2 problems at once) and the pitman arm.
Better, but still not good. I continued to try to figure where I was having my problem, and even the front strut rod began to squeak all the time.The rubber stops and bumpers were all gone, so I figured a lot of the rubber in the rest was just the same.

OK - I knew it was bad - driving to Carlisle - working on a time table, and unfortunately a budget.

What I learned - If you think it's bad, and it looks bad, it's probably twice as bad. NOBODY has an upper ball joint socket in northern Ohio to buy or loan. I wish I had at least 2 more weeks time in order to clean and repaint things more the way I wanted. And finaly, I wish I had gone with offset upper ball joint.

These things I learned because it was my 1st front end rebuild. It has always been about the go, but steering is realy important.

I ended up buying the PST super poly kit, and for just over 400 was an investment, but I figured with it covering pretty much everything I should be OK.
1st, shipping was fast and free and the salespeople and tech guys were VERY friendly and helpful.
2nd, a box showed up on my porch with parts, reciept and a catalog, but no "direction" or even in the case of the tie-rods a way to identify inner or outer. A quick call to the tech guys yielded a fast and friendly answer for the tie-rods, and due to my cruising their web site found 2 nice step by step articles on a couple of Mopar mags doin a rebuild.
But if you didn't know they were there, you kind of would be in the dark (for 1st timers anyway).

After cleaning, painting and sorting through the kit I was ready to re-install. The lower control arm's original bushing was gone from the driver side, 1 of the main reasons I was having trouble. The rubber in the UCA also was bad, but there.
The rebuild was going VERY smoothly till I needed to tighten the upper ball joints. I am not at all proud of how I got them in there. There in, I'll leave it at that.

I met a fellow Mopar fan who works for a shop and was able to do the allignment for me. He not only did a fantastic job, but let me watch, and I was able to see 1st hand how and why things worked the way they did, and why I wanted more caster and camber. I was told without something offset, that they were ment to be set at zero, and not at more driver friendly settings. We set for zero, having to take a learning experience from this.

Now that it's in, night and day.
Car handles good, is acctualy quieter up front, and rides much nicer.

It was a good experience, and if anyone had any questions, I'd like to answer them.

Hope this helps anyone with any possible questions!
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: I finished PST kit - my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:28:24 AM »
Nice info... So you set your caster to 0?.. could you not get any positive caster?
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009 - 12:40:32 AM »
Good info... I'm slowly working my way toward the front!  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009 - 06:18:28 AM »
Nice info... So you set your caster to 0?.. could you not get any positive caster?

He tried to get some out of it but he was only able to max at about a half degree.
He was saying if I had used offset bushings in the UCA we would have been able to get more or I believe I read
that you can also buy offset upper ball joints to get the same effect.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009 - 09:21:16 AM »
I've heard that the poly strut bushings don't compress like the rubber loosing +caster therefor trimming a bit off the rear bushing will get it back.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009 - 10:48:22 AM »
   I was in same situation a while back.  I bought a complete polygraphite front end kit (Just Suspensions). I had even called a local auto parts store that rents tools and asked about a ball joint socket before I ordered the kit. When the kit got here I go to get the socket and the guy lied to me. They don't have one.   :villagers: No one had one.  I ended up just buying the complete tool kit for the rebuild from Just Suspension.  Was kinda pricey but having the right tools to do ball joints ---LCA  ect. sure made it a lot easier.  I would definately recommend the poly bushings.  Made my car drive a whole lot nicer.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009 - 07:32:30 AM »
Moog sells the offset upper bushings - k7103.  Just don't install them like the instructions say, that will only effect camber. 

The first time I replaced upper ball joints I used a large pipe wrench...

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009 - 11:12:03 AM »
Sometimes searching our classifieds section here yields results on parts searches. Ball joint socket yields several hits offered at $30, which under those sold by Mancini. Could have had one within a few days.

Also worth having before jumping into any extensive work like this would be a Factory Service Manual. Even if you don't want to pay up the big bucks for a year specific copy, you can often find off years of similar layout that offer the same advice for cheaper. For example, finding 1974 manuals is easy and cheap, finding 1970 is not. The suspension layout is very similar between the models of the E body run, so you can use either version. Plus you get all the additional info of electrical, mechanical, etc.

Glad to hear your rebuild went good. It does make a world of difference and really points out that the old design is still a viable performer once done up right.

Other options for caster gains are the strut bushing trick pointed out earlier as well as the offset upper bushings, but also don't forget about the adjustable strut rod that can add a few degrees as well. The adjustable strut option has been used by the mustang crowd for years with good results.

Offline duodec

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009 - 07:20:05 PM »
You could also watch for a Matco or other tool truck that goes around to the parts and service stores; last year my cousin picked up both ball joint sockets from one (in stock not ordered); I believe the A-Body is smaller.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009 - 11:52:17 PM »
Glad the kit improved your ride BB, great info here :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002