Author Topic: Weird Oil Pressure Problem?  (Read 663 times)

Offline bordin34

Weird Oil Pressure Problem?
« on: July 08, 2009 - 11:57:19 PM »
So last week I was driving my 73 400 Charger and got to a stop light. I was idling there for a bit and happened to glance down at my oil pressure gauge. As I was looking at it, it slowly crept from almost all the way up, which is where it usually is, to zero nothing. So I listened closer to the engine and it sounded the same as usual. I thought maybe the gauge just broke, I then gave it some gas and the pressure slowly climbed back up to normal and didn't drop again even after idling in my driveway for five minutes. I plan on driving the car further than I ever have before next week, 90 miles or 1.5 hours, but now I am unsure. Could this be a sign of an underlying problem?
Dan

1973 Charger SE Brougham Black 400 auto
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 auto-SOLD

Offline MrMopar440

Re: Weird Oil Pressure Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009 - 07:50:01 AM »
Just a guess, but sounds like the early stages of the pump failing. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken. But, if it is an aftermarket mechanical guage, it could have just been an air bubble from a small leak as well.

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009 - 08:16:20 AM »
Sounds like the pump is starting to fail to me also.
Dave

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009 - 09:35:50 AM »
Are you using the factory gauge? If so I would suspect it and install an aftermarket gauge to see if you really have a problem.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires