Author Topic: I really need help!  (Read 855 times)

Offline Justins72

I really need help!
« on: July 09, 2009 - 01:45:40 AM »
Today i took the car out for a drive and it started and ran fine.  I decided to go see a friend at work and when i was done the car would not start.  I know i was getting gas so i tried changing the ballast since i always keep an extra and it still wouldnt start.  I checked to see if i was getting spark from the coil and i must have cause instead of it hitting metal i got a nice jolt to my finger.  My dad finaly came out to help me get it started. We jumped it and tried a lot of stuff but we checked to see if i was getting spark from the plugs and i wasnt for awhile until he grounded it to the alternator and finally i got a spark and it started right up.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem is?  I have electronic ignition so he thinks it might be the pick up in the distributor.  Im gonna pick up a new one and inspect my cap tomorrow.  The ignition controller is a mopar chrome box  when i did get the car started it was on the one i got with the car but it also started fine and sounded like it was running better with the chrome one so i dont think thats the problem.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: I really need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009 - 05:29:48 AM »
Could still be the chrome box.

Tom

Did it smell flooded?
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009 - 07:52:52 AM »
I agree with the box as a potential as well - I went through a couple before switching to MSD. Same with the stupid voltage regulators.  :swear:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009 - 08:36:39 AM »
Since adding the ground got the car to start I would suggest there lies the problem, a poor ground. I have read that between loose mounts & corrosion that the ICU looses ground.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009 - 08:38:30 AM »
Since adding the ground got the car to start I would suggest there lies the problem, a poor ground. I have read that between loose mounts & corrosion that the ICU looses ground.
I'm with Wade on this one... I'd start here first.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Justins72

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009 - 10:47:26 AM »
I will try adding a chassis to block ground wire today.  I tried the other box that i had as an extra and that wouldnt start it either.  I had the spark plug wire and screwdriver next to the alternator to see if i could see the spark jump so i would know if there was spark getting to the plugs wich there wasnt for awhile then all of a sudden there was a spark and thats when the car fired right up.  This problem has happened to me before the last time i drove it but it only does it after i have been driving for awhile when the car gets warmed up or too hot.

Also on the passenger side firewall there is an L shaped sensor or some sort of electrical thing bolted to the firewall that has 3 wires conneted to it. Anyone know what this is?

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009 - 10:52:25 AM »
I had a similar problem with my 71 cuda when i first got it together. The problem for me was the ignition box was not grounding to the body, because of the painted firewall. So I ran a ground strap from the box and I never had another problem.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009 - 12:52:54 PM »

Also on the passenger side firewall there is an L shaped sensor or some sort of electrical thing bolted to the firewall that has 3 wires conneted to it. Anyone know what this is?

Is this what you mean?

[img][http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/cuda%20ignition%20and%20wiring/DCP_0093.jpg/img]

Offline Justins72

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009 - 12:58:35 PM »
yea what is that?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009 - 02:48:48 PM »
could be a bad coil or pick up in the dist also

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Justins72

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009 - 03:57:01 PM »
I put in a new pick up and made sure that the ICU is grounded.  The car starts so far but it started last night also.  One of those things were im just going to have to wait and see what happens.  I thought about the coil but the car runs great when started and i would think if it was the coil that it would like crap.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009 - 04:12:53 PM »
Coils are strange. I had one that was fine until my engine hit 2000 RPM's, then all heck would break loose. It would start missing real bad, and send my tachometer to the funny farm.   :screwy:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009 - 05:01:53 PM »
I was told that when a car is hot it will use another spot to ground  so you should always ground the block to the frame as well as the battery ground.