Author Topic: front shock install  (Read 776 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
front shock install
« on: July 09, 2009 - 12:34:31 PM »
I am gettign ready to replace my front shocks.

the shocks came with two round rubber pieces and two rond cupped metal pieces.  I am pretty sure I understand where those all go.

My FSM mentins that there is a seperate bushing in the inner fender.  Is this correct and should I replace this as well?

I want to have all the pieces befor I pull it all apart.  :working:

Thanks,

Jas

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: front shock install
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009 - 01:54:12 PM »
I've never seen any aftermarket shocks that come with this bushing as most of them have a lip molded in to the rubber to substitute for it. While "more correct", it isn't a requirement.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009 - 06:18:00 PM »
I tried my best to remove the OE bushings in tact but they tore apart which told me they had deteriorated & would be best replaced with the 2-piece replacements anyway.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009 - 10:10:50 PM »
Same here, 1 piece factory rubber tore apart.  But what can you expect of 40yr rubber.
2 piece part works fine.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009 - 01:48:41 AM »
I am gettign ready to replace my front shocks.

the shocks came with two round rubber pieces and two rond cupped metal pieces.  I am pretty sure I understand where those all go.

My FSM mentins that there is a seperate bushing in the inner fender.  Is this correct and should I replace this as well?

I want to have all the pieces befor I pull it all apart.  :working:

Thanks,

Jas

Two days ago I replaced my front shocks that have been on my car since 1972.  When I got the shock out I was puzzled by the one piece rubber bushing and the pencil sized metal sleeve inside.  Since all the factory parts were in excellent condition I decide to leave them in place.  All I added was the new metal (large) washer to the top of the shock going into the factory rubber piece. 

Question:  Is there any reason to keep the original factory shocks for originality?  I kept my factory radiator and stuff like that so I was wondering if shocks were in the same category.  Not trying to hijack the thread.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009 - 02:01:04 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: