Author Topic: Conn Rod Work - Excessive?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Conn Rod Work - Excessive?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009 - 06:03:17 PM »
Well being exactly to spec and causing a catastophic failure are two different things.
Everything is relative. Look at the 5/16" bolts they use in 302 Ford motors. There's more clamping force on a Slant-6 carb than one of those and they survive with superchargers (some of them anyway)

The question was is rod work necessary and I think it is. New bolts and resizing the big end for a normal street car should be adequate. I rebuilt plenty of motors back in the day (mostly big blocks) and did neither, but I sure don't recommend it.  :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009 - 05:59:36 PM »
 :iagree:

Offline cwestra

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009 - 07:19:29 PM »
Well being exactly to spec and causing a catastophic failure are two different things.
Everything is relative. Look at the 5/16" bolts they use in 302 Ford motors. There's more clamping force on a Slant-6 carb than one of those and they survive with superchargers (some of them anyway)

The question was is rod work necessary and I think it is. New bolts and resizing the big end for a normal street car should be adequate. I rebuilt plenty of motors back in the day (mostly big blocks) and did neither, but I sure don't recommend it.  :2cents:
Certainly catastrophic failure is not an option.  I want to feel confident that I am not going to blow anything if I spin it to 6,500 or 7,000.  And I don't really want an engine that sounds loose or rattly due to excessive clearances.  I do have to keep in mind that this is a street machine, though, and like most, I have a budget to try and work to (already blown out).  I would imagine if I left the big end alone and just changed bolts, I could end up with inconsistent cleanances between rod journals possibly resulting in noise, lower oil pressure, or spun bearing.  So I it is probably worth the extra $120 to size that end.

How much clearance is acceptable on the small end for full floating rods?  And, although I don't know how hard it was run, with only 74,000 miles on the engine how likely is it that they would need work due to bushing wear?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009 - 10:51:16 PM »
With only 74K the rod bushings should be fine unless the motor was really abused.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009 - 11:13:07 PM »
.0003 to .0008 thousanths is normal operating clearance. a bit more is allowable but if you can rock the pin in the bushing then you will end up hearing a wrist pin knock. Worst case scenario then is pounding out the bushing,pistons start rocking wearing out rings and skirts,then plasma starts spewing from the carb and then finally the radiator blows up scorching a hole in your hood and destroying your paint job.  No, seriously, I would hope that you have a decent repoir with the machinist and he wouldn't suggest these extra processes if they wern't needed. Ask him how much wear there is and/or get another opinion.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009 - 11:48:11 AM »
Spinning 6500-7K just get them done. Loose pin bushings might make noise and the oil clearances better be "right" as opposed to "in spec" if it has to live at 7K.