Author Topic: Slave Plate when Boring Street Engine?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Slave Plate when Boring Street Engine?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009 - 08:49:06 AM »
Well, 2 grand into a #s matching motor isn't a whole lot (relatively) but then ask yourself why a double roller timing chain, or why bore it out .030 over, or why a new oil pump if the old one still made pressure.  Because it's important to do these things to make a long lived motor. If you cant afford it, fine, but if its just because you didnt know these things then bite the bullet and do it right the first time.  Cheaper if you dont have to a second time right ? :dunno:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009 - 11:56:05 AM »
To come at it from my perspective... $1200 is enough for me to have iron heads properly redone to use a modern cam (needing dual spings), run pump unleaded, and use performance stainless valves. The block machining alone will cost me another $800. It hasnt been balanced yet, and no parts ovther than head parts have been bought. If this is a real TA, and you plan to race it and dyno it, you will have to spend more coin on the engine. Think of it as cheap insurance. Your $50K or more car has one numbers matching block. Do you really want to A) have it go to a dynop and disappoint you plus run slower than you expected or B) have a catastrophic failure due to cheap parts and lax machining and destroy it? You can do them on a budget. But really, for a 340 TA, I'd expect twice that figure to get things right as opposed to running better.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009 - 07:42:14 PM »
Yep, go whole hog on that numbers engine or bag it and build a 360 stroker and have some fun knowing the heart of your investment is safe. I only had one of what I would call a somewhat rare car and that was my old 70 lime green 340 'Cuda. But I also owned it when none but the top tier cars were worth much. Even extremely nice T/A's and AAR's were only bringing 12-15k. I would love to have a rare car but it sure is nice to be able to beat on a car without feeling guilty. Do it right once is my  :2cents:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*