How low with leaf springs

Author Topic: How low with leaf springs  (Read 4968 times)

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
Re: How low with leaf springs
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009 - 02:28:35 PM »
So  the next question would be what rate are they and how does that fit in to your suspension plan. opar does offer 0 and 1 inch arch oveal track springs, which are 120# rate. The factory XHD springs are between 140 and 150# with around a 2-2.5 arch. Super stock springs are around 160# rate with a 4-5 inch arch.

Just to take a stab at it, I'd say Summit lowering springs are a zero arch, 140# rate. No guarantees of that until you can get a set in hand and check them.

I will ask them to see if they know

This arc measure,how do i measure that?
Is it in the middle of the 2 "bushing point" and the distance from centerline?

Is anyone understand what the crazy swede is thrying to ask this time  :lol2: :grinno:
like this I mean
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009 - 08:30:02 PM by tomsa »

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009 - 04:24:50 PM »
Just to take a stab at it, I'd say Summit lowering springs are a zero arch, 140# rate. No guarantees of that until you can get a set in hand and check them.
After a about week of waiting for answer from Summit I got the answer "We don't appear to have a spring rate on the Summit leaf spring. It's designed to lower the vehicle based on the factory weight"
So I buy the xhd springs to be sure and make extra holes in the front end

What is the difference between the rear hanger of B and E body?
I can´t find E body hangers that isn´t offset
Only find B body att summit and Jegs :clueless:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009 - 05:49:34 PM »
Hi tomsa, Sorry, I lost track of this one for a while.

yYs, the diagram you show above is how you measure the arch. There is free arch, the measurement when the spring is unloaded, and installed arch, when it is in the car with all the weight on it.

I'm not surprised that Summit does not know the rate. Most people selling leaf springs do not know the actual rate of their springs. There answer is about what I suspected. They have a stock style spring that is built with less arch in it to achieve the lowering effect.

Unless you have done all the math to figure out your weight distribution, front suspension set up, and other related info to determine what rate you need for the car, it will certainly be easiest to get the stock XHD springs, get the car on the road, and then figure out where you need to go from there. Of course, that is not easily accomplished from your side of the pond any time you have to buy parts. If you want some help approximating what you may need, I'll give it a try, just let me know. As far as actual arch you need in a spring, again, we can approximate it.

The rear shackle is the same between E and B bodies from what I can tell. They should interchange.

Offline tomsa

• My cars in swedish
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:21:21 PM »
Hi tomsa, Sorry, I lost track of this one for a while.

yYs, the diagram you show above is how you measure the arch. There is free arch, the measurement when the spring is unloaded, and installed arch, when it is in the car with all the weight on it.

I'm not surprised that Summit does not know the rate. Most people selling leaf springs do not know the actual rate of their springs. There answer is about what I suspected. They have a stock style spring that is built with less arch in it to achieve the lowering effect.

Unless you have done all the math to figure out your weight distribution, front suspension set up, and other related info to determine what rate you need for the car, it will certainly be easiest to get the stock XHD springs, get the car on the road, and then figure out where you need to go from there. Of course, that is not easily accomplished from your side of the pond any time you have to buy parts. If you want some help approximating what you may need, I'll give it a try, just let me know. As far as actual arch you need in a spring, again, we can approximate it.

The rear shackle is the same between E and B bodies from what I can tell. They should interchange.

Hi
I have decided to go for XHD spring and do as you suggest
I´m going to move the springs about 4" inch inside and build anew spring mount there so I can easy make some extra holes closer to the floor pan
I will return with pics etc
You can also check my website (still only in swedish but the pics are "uni language"  :grinno: )

When I asked Summit about the shackels I got this answer: " The shackle listed is not designed to be used with the E body. The only one listed for the E body is off-set for when the springs are moved inboard."
Thats why I was confused but I belive I´ll try them anyway