Author Topic: Highspeeddirt's new slow speed project  (Read 3565 times)

Offline highspeeddirt

Highspeeddirt's new slow speed project
« on: July 18, 2009 - 03:08:22 PM »
Well, here is the start of whats going to be a LONG term project.  Its all kinda packed in my garage right now till we get some stuff gone from just moving in.  A little history on the car....  The guy I got it from started out with a 74 challenger that ended up having some serious frame rail rot.  He went to a salvage yard after a 72 parts car that was pretty well stripped.  No doors, fenders, hood, ect. ect.  Anyway, he found the 72's rails inner fenders, ect. to be in much better condition, and decided to build it instead. The only draw back was the junk yard forklift clipped the drivers rear quarter.  He later fell in love with a 71 dart and restored it instead, and decided to part with this one. I ended up getting a steal of a deal. Between the two cars I got a pretty well complete car and some extra parts, a new trunk pan, and a few other new parts. He had already replaced floor pans, cut out the trunk pan, and had the chassis media blasted.  I'll be replacing the quarters, at least one fender, hood, and some patching.  Anyway, here are a few pictures, and some questions and opinion requests to go along with it.  As I get room to work on it, I'll have some better pics.

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline highspeeddirt

Re: Highspeeddirt's new slow speed project
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009 - 03:16:03 PM »
more...

Butte, MT

Mike

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009 - 03:32:49 PM »
looks like a decent project.  :2thumbs:

none of it looks to be to hard to fix.

good score. :bigsmile:

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009 - 03:34:43 PM »
As you can see, the rear crossmember was taken off with the tail panel.  The salvage yard supposedly got happy with the torch at the rear frame rail ends.  What would need to be done here? 

He welded a temporary bar accross the frame rails to keep them from distorting out of alignment.  I thought it might need rear crossmember extensions, but these look nothing like it.

Butte, MT

Mike

wagesofsin

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009 - 03:37:59 PM »
if you can make out what these ends look like...

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=53665.75

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009 - 03:45:11 PM »
These are the worst spots on the roof.  I was wondering about others opinions if I should swap out the whole roof skin, or just work on patching the spots?

Butte, MT

Mike

wagesofsin

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009 - 05:10:57 PM »
that stuff is easily patched, just make cardboard templates, leave yourself extra material and test fit it untill its right. tack, move an inch or 2, tack again, go slow, and pretty soon, its patched. hammer the welds, and you wont have to grind as much.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009 - 09:51:57 PM »
Nice slow speed score!! Good luck with the project. Sorry I missed you and all the CC.com family at Carlisle. How many iced teas did you buy Jeff this time?? :poopoke:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009 - 10:28:34 PM »
Nice slow speed score!! Good luck with the project. Sorry I missed you and all the CC.com family at Carlisle. How many iced teas did you buy Jeff this time?? :poopoke:

Matt B.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to carlisle this year. I sure missed it. Hopefully next year!  I forgot about buying Jeff all those "iced teas"  :roflsmiley: I bet He didn't remember it either.  :cheers:

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009 - 07:33:12 AM »
  I thought it might need rear crossmember extensions, but these look nothing like it.

That looks pretty much like the extensions on my '73.. nothing to do with the frame attachment.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline nick68

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009 - 10:59:09 AM »
What you need to repair that rear frame rail is this.
http://www.themoparshop.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=73_77&products_id=554

I thought I had one but I only had the piece where the tie down bracket goes.

"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009 - 11:26:45 AM »
Well u got some work ahead of you there and alot of hours going to be into that challenger.

Good Luck

Michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009 - 12:30:11 PM »
It looks like a lot of work but it will be nice when done.  Just thought I'd let you know that the new truck floor in one of your pictures is for a 1970.  The shock access holes are  are on the top on the pan instead of on the sides like a 71-74.  It doesn't really matter if you don't care about keeping it origonal.  Just thought I'd throw that out there. :thumbsup:

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009 - 12:52:22 AM »
It looks like a lot of work but it will be nice when done.  Just thought I'd let you know that the new truck floor in one of your pictures is for a 1970.  The shock access holes are  are on the top on the pan instead of on the sides like a 71-74.  It doesn't really matter if you don't care about keeping it origonal.  Just thought I'd throw that out there. :thumbsup:

71's also have the shock access holes on top.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009 - 08:38:26 PM »
I don't think so...maybe very early production 71's had the old style trunk pan but I've seen plenty of 71 with the newer style.