Need help!! Paint mixture and brands.

Author Topic: Need help!! Paint mixture and brands.  (Read 3543 times)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Need help!! Paint mixture and brands.
« on: July 21, 2009 - 04:21:01 PM »
Ok, had a minor mishap with my car. Long story short hood has to be repainted and part of the fender.  I am looking for the closest to correct FM3 paint mixture I can get. I would have to say my car has minimal fading and the paint looks correct in color from what I have seen.

Need paint brand mixture for FM3.
Need paint brand mixture for the T/A hood. Where can I buy it?

Need this info asap if anyone has it as car is sitting at body shop waiting for me to supply paint.

Thanks guys!  :bananasmi

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Need help!! Paint mixture and brands.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009 - 04:27:04 PM »
If I were you, I would take a sample of the paint on the car to the paint shop and let them match it, give them FM3 as their starting point. If you don't, odds are there will be a noticable difference between body panels.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009 - 04:32:50 PM »
If I were you, I would take a sample of the paint on the car to the paint shop and let them match it, give them FM3 as their starting point. If you don't, odds are there will be a noticable difference between body panels.

Ok how about a brand and original mixture, and what about the same for the hood. I know the hood isn't correct in color now, want the correct T/A hood paint color if I have to paint it again.  :crazy:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 - 10:30:58 AM »
Ok, just by reading a long thread over at moparts I am going to go with Dupont Chroma Premier, code is RS295N

This was painted on a show car in Calgary and is supose to be the right color. Not saying my car is painted in Dupont Chroma Premier, but I really have no better options.   :dunno:

I"m still trying to find the orangosol black color mixture.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009 - 08:07:54 PM »
Is your car painted with single stage or base clear now?You should use the same type paint for a good match.Any good body shop should have access to the correct formula and either mix it themselves or have it mixed and then match it to your car,better yet most auto paint stores can scan a panel of your car and computer match it.PPG/Ditzler was the original paint supplier of most muscle era Mopars.The Organisol hood paint is no longer made but there are some techniques to achieve the same look using different paints -check on Moparts for a thread on it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009 - 09:47:14 AM »
Absolute total luck is about the only way you can match a color like that out of the can the first time, but a good shop car tweak it until it does.

Totally Auto Inc sells the organisol in rattle cans, that might do the trick if you can't find anything else.

1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline 73Barracuda340

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009 - 10:44:21 PM »
I know BASF (makers of R-M, Diamont, etc) also supplied some of the paint to Mother Mopar as well.  Not sure of the years or plants used at though.

Brian

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009 - 05:10:41 PM »
I got 2 quarts of organisol From Roger Gibson and Frank Baldoson (spelling?) a few years ago and they still sell it. $125 a quart

www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009 - 12:20:09 AM »
Ok, so the spectra camera used by Dupont mixed a shade of pink that was completely wrong, $162/pint, thankfully they refunded my money and I was able to contact the owner who painted the car. Car was painted in PPG Deltron DBC, 1970 panther pink paint code, so I'm having it mixed now, hopefully i'll know if its a match by the weekend.  What a great way to waste away the short driving season we have up here.  :banghead:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline 340SIX

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009 - 10:45:24 PM »
I have the sheet for the R-M base in FM3 here but will have to look for it.
It is for the 2 stage base clear not single stage.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009 - 10:02:21 AM »
How long ago was the car painted?  How much time  has it spent outside in the sun?  Reds are most prone to UV rays and fade the fastest. Pink is probably the worst color of all for fading since it has less pigment and what pigment there is is mainly red.  If it has faded at all, getting an exact match may prove to be very difficult...
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009 - 03:47:39 AM »
How long ago was the car painted?  How much time  has it spent outside in the sun?  Reds are most prone to UV rays and fade the fastest. Pink is probably the worst color of all for fading since it has less pigment and what pigment there is is mainly red.  If it has faded at all, getting an exact match may prove to be very difficult...

Got the car back a while ago, the PPG Deltron code was a perfect match! Car couldnt'  have been painted long ago and if it was it must have been indoors, (I keep her in a heated garage  :bigsmile:)

Dave
Charlottetown, PE