Author Topic: Need help removing dash pad  (Read 775 times)

Offline cmesa

Need help removing dash pad
« on: July 22, 2009 - 10:21:23 AM »
Hello, I am trying to remove the dash pad on my 72 Barracuda. I took of the bolts on the top and removed the nuts under the pad, however the whole thing seems to be stuck together. It moves as a single part. How do I just get the pad off the rest of the dash.
Thank you

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
Re: Need help removing dash pad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009 - 10:57:15 AM »
I took my whole dash assembly out. That involved the four bolts in the window vents, the two (one each side) above the kick panels and the two under the steering wheel. To remove the dash pad, there are the speed nuts ( i am guessing 10) under the dash and then you have to lift hard as the speed nut studs rub on their holes.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009 - 06:45:32 PM »
if your leaving the dash frame in place,then there are 5 speed nuts towards the rear back of the dash and 3 more just behind were the gauge are is, and 3 more just behind the glove box area,,11 total and then the 4 bolts at the vents that you say you removed,,also on each end of the dash mine had a screw,you can see them when the doors are open,,and of course you have removed the outer trim i assume
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009 - 07:26:12 PM »
if your leaving the dash frame in place,then there are 5 speed nuts towards the rear back of the dash and 3 more just behind were the gauge are is, and 3 more just behind the glove box area,,11 total and then the 4 bolts at the vents that you say you removed,,also on each end of the dash mine had a screw,you can see them when the doors are open,,and of course you have removed the outer trim i assume

I agree, but he also needs to take out the ash tray assembly to get to one.

I know this whole procedure well. No fun, but if you can't lift it up and off, then you have missed a speed nut someplace more than likely.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009 - 07:34:59 PM »
your right the ash tray assembly needs removed,,
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline MDMoparDude