Author Topic: Radio Push Buttons  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Geezer

Radio Push Buttons
« on: July 22, 2009 - 07:49:59 PM »
Hi Gang,

I want to remove a couple of the push buttons from my radio. Is there a trick to this or do they just pull out. I tried a couple of them but chickened out after they seem to take more force than I remember way back when.
70 Hemi Challenger Vert. (Clone) under construction.

Offline Geezer

Re: Radio Push Buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009 - 10:03:47 AM »
To answer my question. Remove the radio from the dash. Looking at the botton of the buttons you can see a slot between the button and it's mounting shaft. This is where you place a screw driver blade and apply a back and forth prying motion to work the button off. The first picture shows my radio with the first button removed. To gain easy access to the slot, pull the button out to the pre-set position as shown in the second picture. The screw driver should be deeper in the slot so as not to nik the button while prying. Once the button is about a third of the way off the shaft, it will be loose enouth to remove by hand.

There ya go. Hope this helps. My buttons are removed to be chromed.
70 Hemi Challenger Vert. (Clone) under construction.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 - 03:36:09 AM »
Thanks
 News to me , I didn`t know you could remove them  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
Re: Radio Push Buttons (Removal)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013 - 05:38:33 AM »
Went searching for a post that would help me in removing the radio's push buttons.  I found this thread, but it's so old that photos no longer display.

So, I did some more Google searching and found this:  http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121844

Tried the method described by MAG in the second-to-last post, and it worked like a charm.  I took a couple of photos to illustrate the set-up.  I used an "Allen-wrench" (instead of a drill bit) the size of the holes behind the buttons; used two jewelers screwdrivers on either side of the station preset shaft/arm;  Gently pulled the screw drivers toward the front of the radio while wiggling the button up and down and "presto", the buttons came off.  Hope this helps others if you're looking to service/replace the buttons.  FYI - this is a 1970-71 E-Body AM radio.  I don't know if this procedure applies to later model units.  Does anyone know if a regular chroming shop can re-chrome plastic?  Thanks.
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013 - 10:23:51 AM »
Does anyone know if a regular chroming shop can re-chrome plastic?  Thanks.

Years ago I had the "Barracuda" script on my dashpad plastic chromed but, sorry, can't remember the company. I do reacll that they specialized in plastic chroming only, didn't do metal plating.

I did a google search and found this place, in a list of many. Looks like he does both.

http://classiccomponents.com/services/plastic-plating
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon