Author Topic: Can Wilwood brakes change my offset?  (Read 986 times)

Offline Doomed

• So close...to actually finishing my 'Cuda!
Can Wilwood brakes change my offset?
« on: July 23, 2009 - 07:46:31 AM »
Hey guys,

I just purchased a set of Magnumforce 2" drop spindles along with their Wilwood 6 piston calipers with 13" rotors for the front, and 4 piston calipers with 12.19" rotors with the internal p brake for the rear. Will these affect the offset for my rims?

I'm looking at TTII's 17x8 - 4.75bs, and 17x11 - 7" bs - the same as Mike Tylers 'Cuda.

Thanks,
Kyle.
"Life gets in the way of Living"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Can Wilwood brakes change my offset?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009 - 10:38:21 AM »
it shouldn`t if it is engineered properly but it could , you will need to check it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline gkring

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009 - 09:10:30 PM »
Typically the wilwood kits with the hubs will push out your wheels about 3/8 an inch. If it is the rotor on your hubs then nothing should change. The rears will be fine which is good since that will be the tightest clearance. Mike's car is in my garage right now and the wheels look awesome. He doesn't have much, but any extra clearance he has is on the inside.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Doomed

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 - 07:30:42 PM »

My only concern is for the front wheels, since I have now changed my plan for the rear. I'm going for 17x9.5's instead, less grief, yet still sick. This Frankenstein will see life soon. Anyone interested in a Dr. Diff 1 1/2 relo kit - still new.

Also, has anybody replaced their brake booster with a Hydraboost kit?

Thanks,
Kyle.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009 - 07:38:07 PM »
Is the Dr Diff kit the one for the stock length springs? If it is, I might be able to use the front hangers. I already have a set of offset shackles though. I'll send a PM.  ;D

Offline kslush

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 - 12:53:59 PM »
Just make sure you measure EVERYTHING out and make sure you have the right parts from Wilwood BEFORE you bolt anything up!!  I had the wrong offset rear brake brackets and since I bolted them up to the axle (even though I didn't even put the wheel on the car) they would not exchange the parts for the proper ones ($25 brackets).  Wilwood provided me with the worst customer service.  I will never recommend their product due to this.  Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to give you a heads up on my experience with them.

Also, Mopar Dave can give you first hand experience of installing and setting up the Hydraboost.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009 - 12:56:45 PM by kslush »

Offline Doomed

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009 - 07:18:32 PM »
    I think all is measured correctly. Everything goes on within two weeks - fingers crossed. Right now i'm dealing with my tranny shipment, which has been a nightmare. I hate UPS, and Keisler only ships through them...bummer!

Kyle.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009 - 08:12:11 PM »
17x9.5's instead,ok i have wilwoods on all 4 , and i also have 17x8 on it now i would like to go with a 9.5 but with the measurements i took a week ago a 17 x9 will fit,
 im not sure if a 9.5 will fit unless you do alot of fender mods and as well as the upper ball joint,its to close and will rub, do as these guys say get the brakes and then bolt a wheel on it and you will know for sure :popcorn:

Offline Doomed

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009 - 10:23:44 PM »
I'm still waiting on my brakes, I had them sent to CAP and when I get my front end from them - its all going to come together quickly. I pick up the rears tomorrow, and my tranny came in today. I'm getting very stoked!

Kyle.
17x9.5's instead,ok i have wilwoods on all 4 , and i also have 17x8 on it now i would like to go with a 9.5 but with the measurements i took a week ago a 17 x9 will fit,
 im not sure if a 9.5 will fit unless you do alot of fender mods and as well as the upper ball joint,its to close and will rub, do as these guys say get the brakes and then bolt a wheel on it and you will know for sure :popcorn:

So...your saying I should be ok with a 17x8 and the Wilwoods? I'm still waiting on my brakes, I had them sent to CAP (to avoid UPS and brokerage) and when I get my front end from them, its all going to come together quickly. I pick up the rears tomorrow, and my tranny (along with another UPS nightmare) came in today. I'm getting very stoked!

Kyle.