Waiting on the sidelines? This might make it easier to decide

Author Topic: Waiting on the sidelines? This might make it easier to decide  (Read 872 times)

Offline KZ

Chrysler: Not A Clunker, Not A Problem
July 22nd, 2009 Posted in News by Tim Manni | Leave a Comment

Chrysler announced today that they don’t care if your vehicle doesn’t qualify for the government’s Cash for Clunkers (C4C) program — they’ll still guarantee you a trade-in value of up to $4,500 or 0% financing for 72 months for new vehicles. Their “Double Ca$h for Your Old Car” program starts tomorrow and will run through August:

“We didn’t want consumers without qualifying vehicles to feel left out, so we are offering up to $4,500 to everyone,” said Steven Beahm, Chrysler’s vice president for sales operations.

While C4C started on July 1, the program’s officials site recommends waiting “until all of the detailed issues that must be addressed in the implementing regulations are resolved and the final rule is issued. Issuance will occur around July 24. See Program Rollout.”

Chrysler deserves some praise for this venture. Consistent criticisms of C4C has centered on how the strict mile-per-gallon requirement would limit the program’s affectability. Even though their amendment to the Federal program will only last about a month, Chrysler’s decision to scrap the limit is encouraging news for consumers who couldn’t qualify.

However, there’s another issue that may limit consumer participation. Is $4,500 enough? Now I know we may be opening up a can of worms here, but it’s certainly a question that begs asking: if your vehicle doesn’t qualify for C4C (especially since some trade ins won’t even get the full amount), and since the program requires you to purchase a new vehicle with the voucher…is $4,500 enough?

You can use Kelly Blue Book’s C4C calculator to determine if your vehicle qualifies

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Waiting on the sidelines? This might make it easier to decide
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009 - 12:10:26 PM »
I saw this on some of the news sites and might just have to think harder about it now.  9k down sounds good and that does not even take in account my trade in. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 - 11:32:03 AM »
I was thinking about trading in my F250 that I just bought for a new RAM Quadcab, but I HATE having car payments!  :banghead:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 - 12:00:06 PM »
The payments is the only thing I am concerned about as well.  Have not had a car payment in a very long time.  would rather stay that way but have been thinking on it. :banghead:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline KZ

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 - 09:39:40 AM »
as usual, the gov't can't seem to get out of its own way when they come up with an idea..........

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-07-27-cash-for-clunkers-list-changes_N.htm

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009 - 05:00:38 PM »
I saw this on some of the news sites and might just have to think harder about it now.  9k down sounds good and that does not even take in account my trade in.

I thought the turned in vehicle would be dismantled or crushed.If that's the case you probably wouldn't get a trade in allowance.Seeing as how they couldn't resell it.Would this be correct or did I hear it wrong?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:19:07 PM »
The vehicle turned in goes to guys like me!! My local Blue Oval dealer called me today on a 99 Expedition. He told me runs great, but he has to grenade the motor before he sells it to me. And I have to crush it within 6 months! There's more to it of course, but I wanna go home without writing a 3 page essay.... 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Bluemonster71RT

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009 - 06:59:40 PM »
The vehicle turned in goes to guys like me!! My local Blue Oval dealer called me today on a 99 Expedition. He told me runs great, but he has to grenade the motor before he sells it to me. And I have to crush it within 6 months! There's more to it of course, but I wanna go home without writing a 3 page essay....

Right there with ya. We are looking at getting 60+ cars so far.  My boss was out all day talking to the dealers to get the cars. They called all day Monday asking for us to take them.  Then I was thinking that this program is expected to end around Nov. but at the rate the cars are comming in (at least in CT) I think it's gonna use up the budget in advance.  They (Government) changed the deal today giving incentive to the dealers to take cars in by refunding some $$$ to them per the car. It's gonna be interesting to say the least.  Cause like you said we have 6 months to scrap the cars so that means we are gonna have to pull all the parts we want to keep prior to crushing them.
1971 Challenger RT 383 4spd

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:19:26 PM »
Right there with ya. We are looking at getting 60+ cars so far.  My boss was out all day talking to the dealers to get the cars. They called all day Monday asking for us to take them.  Then I was thinking that this program is expected to end around Nov. but at the rate the cars are comming in (at least in CT) I think it's gonna use up the budget in advance.  They (Government) changed the deal today giving incentive to the dealers to take cars in by refunding some $$$ to them per the car. It's gonna be interesting to say the least.  Cause like you said we have 6 months to scrap the cars so that means we are gonna have to pull all the parts we want to keep prior to crushing them.

Reading your post it looks like the pres misspoke.Maybe he meant to say "wrench ready jobs" not "shovel ready".

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009 - 07:24:54 PM »
Sounds like the gov't created another bureacracy to deal with all of the "requirements" associated with this program.   It may be set to end in a few months but it will take YEARS for the gov't to process everything.  Then, you know, they will want to go back and audit some dealers to make sure they played by the rules.  Then they will have to fine the ones that did not play right, take them to court, making more lawyers rich.  Oh yeah, BTW, where does the gov't get the $4500?  From Me and You!

My personal opinion, I don't want another car payment EVER.  So unless they are going to give me 20 grand for my "clunker" I am going to keep on driving it. Afterall, it only cost me $750 to buy it.  It runs good and has cold a/c.  I am fixing it up as I go and I guarantee when I am done with it, it will be worth more than I have into it.  Also, considering the "average" new car payment is now around $450.00, I paid for my truck with less than 2 months of payments... What can I do with the other $4650 this year? A LOT of work on my other "clunkers."
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT