Author Topic: proportioning valve  (Read 510 times)

Offline 72cudaguy

proportioning valve
« on: July 24, 2009 - 11:01:38 AM »
I have a power disk conversion kit up front with rear drums, looks like the adjustable proportioning valve going to the rear is bad, the rear drums are not releasing 100%. Here's the thing, it's friday, big car show on saturday, would it be a huge issue to take out the rear adjustable proportioning valve until I can get a replacement. Would love to make it to the show tomorrow, just cant get a new valve in time. Any thoughts or opinions ?? Thanks, Ed

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: proportioning valve
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 - 12:30:05 PM »
no issue to remove the rear prop valve , , the rear brakes might lock up early without it so be careful on hard stops

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72cudaguy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009 - 12:53:20 PM »
Great! thats the answer I was hoping for, off I go  :burnout: Thanks

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009 - 07:48:35 PM »
Does it have a regular (stock) prop valve too, or just the adjustable?

If its just the adjustable, then you'll have to be pretty careful on the brakes as the rears will definitely lock first.

Also depends on the conversion kit, is this a primarily stock parts type conversion, or all aftermarket stuff? If its a stock type kit and uses a regular prop valve in addition to the adjustable, then you'll just be back to the "stock" balance, which was rear biased. If its aftermarket, with different calipers and no stock type prop valve, if you have larger calipers (or more pistons) they might take more fluid than the stockers, and the bias could be pretty severe to the rear.