Author Topic: Anyone ever hear of a Globe brand 4-post lift  (Read 450 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Anyone ever hear of a Globe brand 4-post lift
« on: July 25, 2009 - 12:33:32 AM »
I was recently talking to a guy who has an old 4-post lift that he wants to get rid of for really cheap. He said that the brand name is "Globe".

I asked the usual questions, including if it had safety locks. He says that it does not have any locks. He says that it does not use any cables or hydraulic cylinders. Instead, it uses a large electric motor, and a series of gears and worm screws to raise and lower the platform, so unless the motor is turning, the platform wont move. Turning off the motor simply locks it in place. He says that he has used it frequently, but he prefers his 2-post lift, so he wants to get rid of the 4-post.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it some antique, or is it a reliable lift? I mainly plan to use it for storage, but I still wouldnt want to get something that is not sturdy, or something that could come crashing down. I'm going to look at it in a couple of days, so I'm just trying to get some info from anyone that has any knowledge about it.

Offline Stacked440

Re: Anyone ever hear of a Globe brand 4-post lift
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009 - 07:56:17 PM »
Never heard of "Globe" brand personally, 3-6k pounds above my head...I don't want it coming down when I'm not pressing the button.  Is it made in the U.S.?
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Anyone ever hear of a Globe brand 4-post lift
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009 - 12:14:35 AM »
I've been doing a little research, and Globe used to be one of the biggest makers of quality car lifts in the US. I believe they started somewhere in the 1920's.

From what the guy told me, since there are no hydraulics or cables, it is impossible for the platform to move unless the motor is running. The lift cannot fall on its own because it is completely dependent on the movement of gears and worm drives, and they only move when the motor is running.

I'm going to try to go look at it on Saturday. I found a place that services Globe lifts, and they say they can get virtually any part needed.