Author Topic: Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Glennster

Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....
« on: July 25, 2009 - 04:28:21 PM »
It looks like the shocks were torched off these plates. How can I get new shock bolts on there?
The brakes are locked up on one side, I'm REAL eager to get it apart so I can find out if it's Sure Grip or not.
PLEASE BE SURE GRIP!!!!!
THANKS for any help!

Offline 72bluNblu

Re: Here's my 8 3/4, please help with advice....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 - 04:52:21 PM »
You could try replacing the studs, I think I've seen them for sale somewhere. But for the trouble those rusty pieces are going to give you its probably just worth replacing the whole shock plate.

Any tags on the diff? Sure grips usually had an extra tag bolted to the 3rd member.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009 - 09:29:52 PM »
I have the replacement studs on mine, they went in pretty easy.  Hope it a SG for you! 

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

wagesofsin

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009 - 09:38:25 PM »
yea, just replace the stud(s), id soak that sucker in some pb blaster, and if it still gives you a fit,
heat it up and spray some blaster on it while its hot, helps to suck it in. ( just be careful please)

did you turn one side and see if they both go the same direction?

if so, you gotta posi,    :2thumbs:

if one goes the opposite direction, shes a pegleg. 

our hopes for good fortune are with you.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009 - 10:11:22 PM »
 We celebrated 2 birthdays at my house this afternoon, so I just got the brake drum free. After a bunch of pounding and being attacked by mosquitoes, I got the drum off. It looks like it's not a SG, either that or it's broken.
 When I turn the wheel, the other wheel does not turn : - ( 
When I turn the yoke, one wheel turns, if I turn it the opposite direction, the other wheel turns.
I am a sad, bug bitten man.........................................Time for a sip of vodka and a shower....................

wagesofsin

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009 - 10:22:04 PM »
well, happy 2 birthdays, and a better tomorrow is a sure thing .

:smilielol:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009 - 10:22:41 PM »
It appears the spring perches are different than my '73s..., mine are about 1/2 that thick so you may lose a little ride height. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Glennster

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009 - 10:50:23 PM »
This rear end is said to be out of a 66, big block, Charger.............

Offline Glennster

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009 - 11:04:05 PM »
JS29NOB,
 Keep talking, I think I need your help!
Who is Dr. Diff?
Where is Dr. Diff?
I'm in Elkhart, where are you?
THANKS,
Glenn

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009 - 04:17:31 AM »
This rear end is said to be out of a 66, big block, Charger.............

Does the 65-67 B-body rear end have the right width and spring saddle width to bolt into your challenger???
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline Glennster

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009 - 07:43:03 AM »
autoxcuda,
 The spring saddle width needs to be changed (too wide), overall width is OK.

JS29NOB,
  I will contact the Dr................
 Does he need my rear end, or does he just ship me the parts so I can install them? If that's the case, it seems like I would save a ton.
THANKS again!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009 - 06:32:33 PM »
autoxcuda,
 The spring saddle width needs to be changed (too wide), overall width is OK.

The Challenger is too wide right? If its a '66 B-body it should have the perches at 44" center to center, the Challenger should be at 46" center to center. If so, while you're on the phone to Dr. Diff have him send you a 1" spring relocation kit. Should bolt straight up. Then you'd have more clearance for rims/tires too.

Offline Glennster

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009 - 11:16:14 PM »
72bluNblu,
  You are CORRECT! Perches are as you described.

BUT, the axle housing measures 53 1/2'' on the 1966  and 56 1/2'' on my current 1970 8 1/4.............
 I think I need a different rear end....

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009 - 12:24:15 AM »
You sure don't  ;D.  The b-body rear conversion is pretty popular to get larger tires under the rear. With a B-body rear end and the 1" spring relocation kit you can fit 10" rims and up to about a 305-315 tire! (just ask Stroker!)

Now, if you don't plan on running tires anywhere near that big, don't worry. You're stock rims will still work, but they'll be tucked under the car about 1 1/2" per side. It'll probably look a little funny, but it won't interfere with anything (after all the springs are relocated!). This can also be addressed with a little less backspacing. But if you're planning on 400+ hp, then I'm guessing you were going to get bigger tires at some point.

I have a '68-'70 B-body 8 3/4" rear for my car for that exact reason. And that 742 center chunk is a good deal too. Might be a peg leg, but its arguably the strongest center for an 8 3/4". I don't like the crush set up on the 489's, which is why I have a couple of 742's to replace the 741's in my Challenger and Dart. Get a sure-grip for it and you're set, you'll have a very strong rear axle with the ability to run some nice big tires.  :2thumbs:

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009 - 12:45:39 AM »
You sure don't  ;D.  The b-body rear conversion is pretty popular to get larger tires under the rear. With a B-body rear end and the 1" spring relocation kit you can fit 10" rims and up to about a 305-315 tire! (just ask Stroker!)

Now, if you don't plan on running tires anywhere near that big, don't worry. You're stock rims will still work, but they'll be tucked under the car about 1 1/2" per side. It'll probably look a little funny, but it won't interfere with anything (after all the springs are relocated!). This can also be addressed with a little less backspacing. But if you're planning on 400+ hp, then I'm guessing you were going to get bigger tires at some point.

I have a '68-'70 B-body 8 3/4" rear for my car for that exact reason. And that 742 center chunk is a good deal too. Might be a peg leg, but its arguably the strongest center for an 8 3/4". I don't like the crush set up on the 489's, which is why I have a couple of 742's to replace the 741's in my Challenger and Dart. Get a sure-grip for it and you're set, you'll have a very strong rear axle with the ability to run some nice big tires.  :2thumbs:

Good points. But now you've log rolled into a spring relocation project. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Also the 65-67 B-body rear is shorter than the 68-70. Is that still going to work?
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In